Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Overkill on the safety chains?

Re: Overkill on the safety chains?

Quote Originally Posted by hookinin View Post
    I have always thought it would be good if glass boats had 2 u-bolts instead of only one. Large plate boats often have two points even though its one welded bracket with two holes. Surely a bit larger foot plate and a extra u-bolt wouldn't be hard at the build stage.
    Yeah, I was gunna say that Gav...........

Yep, might be a good idea, I can see where Satnav is coming from, you can attach 10 chains, shackles and turnbuckles, but in reality, all that secures the lot is a cheap (possibly Chinese) stainless ring, with a 8-10mm bolt and nut on the inside, that said, if you hit the brakes in an emergency, and the winch post snaps off, a turnbuckle is not likely to stop a couple of tonne of boat once it gets moving! but, having nothing at all has got to be worse....

err whoops.jpg

Not sure what you mean Noel........

Yep - there is a single failure point - that I know is in good nick and is capable of towing the boat (not mine personally) at 20 plus knots on the plane,in offshore conditions from the Cathedrals to Manly so I do have some degree of faith in it. I can't, without the installation of a second bow eye - let's not go there Gav - I had enough fun with this one, do anything about that. What I could do is make sure that the hardware in place to secure the boat was not going to be what let go. The set up is only marginally different to what has been on the trailer for the last eleven years - just a "bit" stronger and with separate shackles for each chain. Should the winch and transom tie downs have failed with the way it was set up - the boat would roll about 100 mm or so before the chain stopped it even though the assembly was tightened with the turnbuckle - I wasn't happy with that. Both the binder and the turnbuckle are only tightened by hand (not by using the binder handle) so the chains aren't applying massive amounts of force unless other gear lets go first.

In reality the post was a tongue in cheek show and tell - not a tutorial (don't recall saying this is the way you should do it) and as with all things on the intermanet - not to be taken as gospel. People should secure their boats as they feel comfortable doing - after all, it will be their insurance and their conscience at risk in the case of an accident. As for those of us that suffer with OCD, it's a horrible thing to have to live with.

Actually went for a run to Tipplers for lunch today - lets just say I am a lot more comfortable with towing my trailer the way it's set up than I am being anywhere near some of the set ups in the parking lot while on the road.

Happy travels

On a side note Scott<

How was the lunch food quality? You or your didn't happen to have the snapper fish and chips did you?

Up until last visit by us we were very happy with the quality but not so last time. I'm hoping that this was an abortion and that the quality of food is back up to where it used to be.

Perhaps we could also conclude that the chains have run their race too?

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    On a side note Scott<

How was the lunch food quality? You or your didn't happen to have the snapper fish and chips did you?

Up until last visit by us we were very happy with the quality but not so last time. I'm hoping that this was an abortion and that the quality of food is back up to where it used to be.

Perhaps we could also conclude that the chains have run their race too?

Chimo

Just grabbed some bacon and egg burgers and a plate of chips from McClarens Landing Chimo as there were about a million people lined up at Tipplers itself. Was a good feed for what it cost given the location.

The chains - yep, all done up tight.