Thread: Brisbane river 3-5/2/17

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane river 3-5/2/17

Did a couple of trips to the river over this past weekend to the mouth of the Brisbane River.
    Friday night headed out pretty late, plenty of bait around but was windy and choppy around the mouth. First spot yielded plenty of catties but nothing else. Had a look around a couple of other spots but wind made it hard to positon the boat. Tried a new spot back down the river a litttle out of the wind and chop somewhat. Put the big prawns I had on and doubled up the silver biddies. Silver biddies had a short run and were dropped before I got to the rod, when I got them up it looked very much like a jew bite. Wouldn't have been another 20 minutes and the big prawn went off. After an intensive fight around the boat, anchor rope, other lines and trying to stop the fish getting into the structure, that silver slab popped up beside the boat. Haven't got one in awhile so was great to get it, went about 91.8cm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	115186

Went back out Sunday night thought I would have another go at the same spot, was a good looking spot and was suprised I had never stopped there before.
    Plenty of bait around again, no trouble getting livies.
    Anchored up with wind against current but the boat sat pretty good. Deployed baits and got ready to wait. After about half an hour without a touch, I thought, started checking lines. First line had a small cattie that must have been just sitting on the bait. Second line bait was gone but 2 scaled from a thready were on the point of the hook... Damn...
    Rebaited and waited again, a couple of small catties again and then got a nice 82cm salmon.
    Sent the lines back down and almost instantly hooked up again, not a big fish but dropped it on the way up. Next bait got a 55cm salmon. Was then plagued with salmon all around this size hitting the live prawns. Had 1 follow the bait all the way to the surface and swim around on the surface, was cool to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Salmon.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	115184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Salmon.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	115185

Re: Brisbane river 3-5/2/17

nice going mate. Good to hear you getting a few smaller threadies, you dont see a lot of reports of fish under 80cm
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Re: Brisbane river 3-5/2/17

Good stuff mate! You've definitely got the river nutted out aye, good on ya!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ausfish mobile app