Thread: Haines Signuture 600RF for offshore?

Haines Signuture 600RF for offshore?

Hi.
    I am a newbie to these forums and am pretty inexperienced. I have a powerboat licence but it has been inactive for 30 years!

My need is a trailerboat that can go offshore.
    In particular I want to go from Port Lincoln to Neptune Islands. I do not want to fish for sharks. I may want to sleep overnight.
    I will have other similar needs in other places. I am fine with sleeping on a deck on a bit of foam under the stars so do not need space wasted on toilets/beds etc.
    My plan is to become reacquainted with piloting such craft by taking experienced people with me until I get the knack again.

My question is, what sort of boat do I need for this type of use?
    I figure I need something at least 6m designed for offshore use.
    Being in SA where we have far fewer boats my choices are limited.
    I want to buy second hand around $50K max.

There is this ad

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adel...0rf/1132876831

which might be a tad expensive but looks like the sort of boat I need.
    Port Lincoln to Neptunes is about 40 nautical miles.
    This boat has a 180L fuel capacity. Even at 25 knots 25 L/hour I figure I might need 50L there and another 50L back so should be well within capacity.

Question is - is this a reasonable option?
    My mate is an ex-pro fisherman who could surely answer this for me but I want it to be a surprise.
    Remember in SA I have few options so your ideal boat may not be available.
    I am looking to do this purchase quickly!
    All comments welcome.

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines Signuture 600RF for offshore?

bugga the surprise,talk to your mate. For that price you should get a 4 stroke.
    We had a 650f with 200 4stk not a bad outside boat.
    best of luck looking.

G'day
    Another south ozzie here
    I agree with the poster above, for that price on a boat that age I would expect a 4 stroke. Besides economy the market is not favourable price wise on the older style 2 strokes. I just did a quick plot from billy lights and it would be around 80k's and I doubt that you would get there and back on 180L let alone if you conditions deteriorate. Taking extra jerries and refueling at sea is dubious imo
    Whether that size boat is good enough or big enough seems to depend on the individual. We had a very capable 6m glass boat, but in seriously offshore situations it shrunk to the point where we thought "what the hell are we doing out here in a boat this size"
    But the the week before last saw 2 blokes in a tiller steer tinnie 60k's offshore in the southern ocean, same place we felt irresponsible in capable 6m boat. We sold the 6m mono and bought a 6.5m kevlacat with 2 engines etc etc and now feel pretty comfy offshore.
    We bought our last 2 boats interstate.
    You learn to expect the unexpected over many years of boating
    Don't be in too much of a rush I would say
    Cheers
    Rod

Carburetted 2stroke will consume more fuel than your estimation, more like 40-45 l/h at 25 knots (45kmh).
    Used to own the same outboard, great reliable 2strokes however thirsty.

Your range is the problem with the fuel tank.
    By the time you get to your destination and leave fuel for return, there is just enough left for reserve, not much for actual fishing.
    Might need to carry couple of plastic fuel tanks as spare just in case.

2-stroke HPDI or 4-stroke engine will consume a lot less fuel, around third less or more from my experience changing to 200hp HPDI

Max

Ausfish Platinum Member

Used to fish down that way-it can get pretty nasty between Lincoln and the Neptunes, especially once you get past Thistle. Although you do have a lot of shelter options if you get back to Thistle or Memory Cove on the mainland. Do you want to fish beyond the Neptunes out towards the shelf? or could you base yourself at Thistle and fish from there? Even that option will require you to be pretty confident of yourself on a trailer boat-I know the Ab divers work it on trailer boats from Lincoln, but they are a tough, experienced bunch. Used to do it myself, in another lifetime. If fuel is a real issue, you could arrange someone to get fuel into Memory Cove, nice and sheltered for a refuel on the water. Just a suggestion.

For those not familiar with the area, here is a link to a map. great fishing, no doubt.

https://www.mindat.org/maps.php?id=12491

Probably hard to find within your budget but given your location, something with a fully enclosed hardtop wouldn't be a bad idea - even more so if like myself, leaky clears give you the shits.

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I will not buy that boat.
    Sounds like I need at least 200 L fuel (plus may backup cans) and a 4 stroke or more efficient 2 stroke if I am to buy something suitable for this region.

Haines Signuture 600RF for offshore?

Welcome to the forum. Some very good comments in previous replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsardoz View Post
    ... I figure I need something at least 6m designed for offshore use.....
    Yep.

That was my 2c opinion.

... All comments welcome....
    The rest of my opinions/comments you'll get for free...

Maybe the need to do this...
    ... I am looking to do this purchase quickly!...
    is causing you to only see this...
    ... Being in SA where we have far fewer boats my choices are limited...
    ...Remember in SA I have few options so your ideal boat may not be available.....
    Assuming you want glass, what about Northbank boats? Great boats, and made in SA, a few on boatsales the last time I looked too.

Next door in VIC there is Haines Hunter, Caribbean, Whitley, Edencraft, BSB plus maybe a dozen or more manufacturers. I would have thought the used boat market in SA & VIC would be large and varied, and hence provide good options? You won't get some of those above in your budget, but doesn't hurt to look at all options.

Seriously, unless you have oodles of cash, slow down, as a rushed purchase could be a costly one (or two, when you buy the right boat). If you 'really' need to buy one in a hurry, get your mate involved ASAP.

Cheers & good luck.
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I have slowed down.
    I may be moving to Brisbane soon anyway. I will have another look then. Better variety and beats towing it up there.
    I would have liked to check out that region before I left though.
    Maybe a charter is the way to go.

There are a great variety of good boats available down here with good sound motors on them.
    I looked at caribbean reef runners. They have a hard top option as do northbank.
    Also popular here now is the surtees hard top 6.7 gamefisher.
    All well built boats.
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Free Membership

I know this is off topic slightly, but since you are looking to spend $50,000 on a second hand boat. You can buy a brand new Yaltacraft 2200 fisherman for $50,000 with Redco Trailer and 150 4 stroke. I bought mine 2 years ago brand new and its a fantastic boat for game fishing. the 150 burns about 1L every 2.2km on average and I have been out in 27 knot winds at the shelf which wasnt much fun, but made it back safe enough. I posted a thread in the boats section about my own Yaltacraft if you want to see pictures.

What about this? 4 stroke and hard top!

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...45&pss=Premium

Nice crays off Southend too, yum.
    What could go wrong.......................