Thread: New Boat + Trailer/ Camper

Wink New Boat + Trailer/ Camper

Hi All,

First time post and looking for some guidance.

Currently have a 4m river boat and looking to upgrade. I need a boat with a casting deck, bow mount, capable of fishing freshwater river systems as well as some bay and inshore. I have a wife who also loves to fish and 2 young kids. At this stage im thinking a 481 Topender. Want something I can still handle on my own and still head off for a serious fish without the family.

I am going to get the trailer built by a friend who is a engineer. I am thinking of a camper/ boat trailer similar to the Belco Land and Sea. We are looking to do some extended trips over the coming years (3 months), So would need a bit more storage and a bit of a simple kitchen.

I am thinking a tandom trailer that is somewhat offroad capable, split draw bar, marine brakes, coil suspension, electric winch and maybe drive on if possible.

The camper will wind off trailer. See attached sketch for a general idea.

Questions include.

• Thoughts on Topender in areas like the Kimberleys, Cape York, general inshore fishing. Any better options that are not too heavy and still good for chasing Murray cod?
    • I am worried about weight. Wife has a new Prado that we will get suspension upgraded on and I have a Amorok. Do you think we will kill our vechicles.
    • Thoughts on camper. Need to survive with couple of young kids without going crazy. Toms toy.jpgToms toy.jpg

Cheers,
    Tom

Re: New Boat + Trailer/ Camper

Where are you located?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

The Topender will be OK, as will a hundred other boats, the Prado will pull that OK (never been an Amarok fan) the actual design might take some thinking though, at one time many years ago, I was going to build a super off road box trailer, and buy one of those Jayco campers and put it on it, then make a jack system to allow the Jayco to remain for use, while the trailer was used as a boat trailer. One things people don't realise when they have boats on the top of campers is, you set up camp, get comfy, then want to go fishing, you have to pack everything up, including kids and wife, to take the boat to the water, it's a real pain, if you opt for a boat on the roof of the car, it kind of fixes this, but, you are then restricted to a smaller boat, and have to pack all your boat stuff in the car, and drag it all out, and assemble the boat and gear, then put a boat dripping salt water back on the car roof, and pack all the wet fishy smelling gear in the car to return to the camp! it's a damn hard experience to get it all right.

You want everything camping related attached to the camper frame not the trailer ie leave the fridge in the car with a bracket for it on the camper frame when camping. So when you wind/lift off the camper frames you dont need to put the trailer back under at all till you leave. Close in the frame when off with zip on canvas for more enclosed storage. And I'd chuck a 4wd awning on the back or other side of the frame for more shade. Google has some good camper boat combo pics for ideas.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

And keep us posted with build pics.. 👍
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Not long moved to Tintinara SA. Was from Wagga.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    You want everything camping related attached to the camper frame not the trailer ie leave the fridge in the car with a bracket for it on the camper frame when camping. So when you wind/lift off the camper frames you dont need to put the trailer back under at all till you leave. Close in the frame when off with zip on canvas for more enclosed storage. And I'd chuck a 4wd awning on the back or other side of the frame for more shade. Google has some good camper boat combo pics for ideas.
    Great advice. I was struggling with fridge location. I thing back of vehicle will work out the best.