Thread: Popping/stick bait set up

Popping/stick bait set up

Hi all, how are you?

chasing some advice on a popping and stick bait set up.
    I have never fished like this before, so I know nothing.
    I want to have a crack at chasing trout/ redrhoat ect in the shallows around the bunker group, and on my swains trip later this year.

I wont be fising like this all day, just want to give it a go, and see what happens. What kind of set up do you recommend?

As for lures, I would suspect 100mm-150mm size would be the go? Any advice welcome.

Thanks
    Rob

Re: Popping/stick bait set up

Hi mate how much did you want to spend😁
    For that style fishing I have a shimano Grappler S80M..lure weight 25-80g max drag 8kg
    40-50lb braid $400 .
    I have a Stella 6000 with 40lb line matched but you could put a 8000 on it as well
    it is used for long tail tuna and exactly what you are describing I also used it up north and got a couple of 6-8kg nanygi on sp and I also hooked and landed a 9kg gt so it can put some hurt on to pull the trout from there holes... It's a top rod and it's got the length to do the job I could not be happier and this rod comes with me whenever I'm lure fishing

cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Thanks Scott

tryjng to keep the cost down, but dont want to end up with crap either

is lure weight the the main decision I will need to make?

Quote Originally Posted by rtp1984 View Post
    Thanks Scott

tryjng to keep the cost down, but dont want to end up with crap either

is lure weight the the main decision I will need to make?
    I understand that mate.
    yea it's all going to be about weight you can get a few good all round rods for say 50-100g stick baits and 40-70g poppers as well .
    A good rod for starting out mate is the shimano revolution offshore 762sp 10-15kg and if you don't like it you will have a heavy sp rod for the deep or casting for spanyards
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Have a look at this site http://www.downriggershop.com.au/shop.html

Have just got their micro jigging combo, plenty of grunt for 6 kg braid.

Hi Rob,

you could go a Terez 7'2" 30-50lb rod with a Saragosa 8000 (or even 6000), 50 pound braid. That will be plenty for trout and red throat. Only the absolute biggest trout will cause you problems on that setup. Will handle poppers up to 100g which is all you need for those fish. When in the shallows you don't need to cast for miles so the 7'2" rod will be fine. This setup will also double as your general all-rounder. You should get it all for about $650.

There are plenty of options out there but my advice is if you haven't done a lot of this style of fishing then don't go and spend big bucks on a dedicated popper outfit. Get something that can double as an all rounder. Dedicated popper outfits (7'6" - 8' rods, big reels) are either heavy or the light ones are expensive. Believe you me when you are throwing poppers around getting not much at all for a lot of hard work and the other guys in the boat are filling the bin with red throat and trout on smelly old bait, you will very quickly start bait fishing!

Cheers

I second Billy C's post - i use my bottom basher for lagoon popping like you are talking about - and its a "short" deep jig 200 with an 8000 stella and 50lb braid. works well enough for the short cast you generally need around the bommies.

have a Gt Special and bigger reel for dedicated popping work - but it is used very rarely - whereas i have the deep jig in the boat every trip!

Free Membership

Gladiator KOR Poppers stopper 15-24kg - $150
    Okuma Salina 3 - $240

under $400 for rod and reel. Great value.

Thanks a lot every one.
    I will be heading down to tackle world as soon as I get a chance.
    Will be I a real rush if the forecast stays good for central coast this weekend

thanks

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    Gladiator KOR Poppers stopper 15-24kg - $150
    Okuma Salina 3 - $240

under $400 for rod and reel. Great value.
    I have used the Kor rod a few years ago. Blank was surprisingly good but rod build was too heavy with aluminium seat and guides were rubbish. The centres would fall out without much encouragement. Apparently they were going to upgrade the guides but I don't know if that happened.

Hi all.
    Just following up this thread.

I ended up with a 7'2 Amped 40-60lb rod with a 8000 biomaster with 40lb string.
    I know I have compromised a little on keeping it short, but I wanted to make the rod versatile as I don't do much of this style of fishing.

So, with my upcoming Swains trip fast approaching in June, who can give me some pointer on how to suck a few trout out of the shallows on a lure?

What depth and techniques should I be giving a go.

I currently know nothing

Thanks

Mate that sounds like a perfect combo. I have a Biomaster 10000, great reels, nice and light. While you are not throwing poppers / stick baits this will double nicely as your all-rounder / bait fishing set up. Tie on an 80lb leader, 8/0 hook, no sinker, small hunk of flesh bait, throw to a bombie and hold on.

If you are in the shallows (2-5m), go poppers (150mm minimum) or stick baits (150mm minimum) that float or are slow sinking. Either that or takes lots of sinking ones, you will lose a lot to the reef! The cheaper ones are OK (Rapala etc). If it's a one off trip they will be fine, they just don't last as long as the better ones. You can upgrade the trebles to singles too.

Good luck.