Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running Bennett BOLT tabs?

Anyone running Bennett BOLT tabs?

Tossing up between Lenco and BOLT, lots of reviews (Somewhat mixed) on the Lenco but not a lot of comments about the BOLT, any users on here?

Also the different configerations, which one is the better...

"Traditional" - flat style, perhaps with slight turned up edge
    "Edge mount" - turned up edges to provide strength
    "Bat wing" - turned down edges supposedly to provide greater lift

Any comments on the best style of the actual tab itself?

Tx
    C

PS Looking at 18 x 9 for the HH650.

Re: Anyone running Bennett BOLT tabs?

Had a relative who had Lencos on his 680 Patriot and had problems with the wiring loom going up the switching mechanism. I myself have two sets of Bennets on two different boats. No problems. Duck

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfish View Post
    Had a relative who had Lencos on his 680 Patriot and had problems with the wiring loom going up the switching mechanism. I myself have two sets of Bennets on two different boats. No problems. Duck
    CheersDuck,assume you have the hydraulic bennetts though??

We have Lenco, 7 years old never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

I've got BOLT's. Seem pretty good and actuators are completely sealed as opposed to the Lencos which was why I went that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mace01 View Post
    I've got BOLT's. Seem pretty good and actuators are completely sealed as opposed to the Lencos which was why I went that way.
    Thanks Bud

Only issue I have seen with the Lenco's was generated more by the installation with cables left hanging from the switch in a bundle breaking the connector on the back of the switch unit - it's not that robust either though. Another brand to consider is Lectrotab - been running them now for a few years using the "Oval" indicator switch without any problems.

Yes Crunchy hydraulics with both boats. Found them fairly reliable. With the two boats over 20 odd years of boating and the Bennetts have been reliable.

Sent from my PNDP51M10BLK using Ausfish mobile app

Alteady decided to go electric, might go the BOLT as 5yr warrantee vs lenco 3

Lectrotab have lifetime warranty on their actuators. That was the primary reason for them being my choice.

Hard to beat lifetime! ThoughT they were the bottom option from some comment on THT I read

I have the Bennett hydros with recently installed Mente Marine auto trim controller on my cruiser and love the setup - although I realise you are looking at the electric setups.

In relation to trim tab design my Bennetts have the outer edge turned down and in the inner up. I think the outer turned down was supposed to reduce spray.

I would go the turned down tabs as based on my reading they are designed to provide more lift particularly moreso the longer the tab. They would also prevent spray from the edges of the tab and are also supposed to improve straight line tracking particularly at lower speeds as certain boats can have a tendency to wander at lower no wakes speeds. These can also be bought as a kit and retrofitted to the usual Bennett tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I have the Bennett hydros with recently installed Mente Marine auto trim controller on my cruiser and love the setup - although I realise you are looking at the electric setups.

In relation to trim tab design my Bennetts have the outer edge turned down and in the inner up. I think the outer turned down was supposed to reduce spray.

I would go the turned down tabs as based on my reading they are designed to provide more lift particularly moreso the longer the tab. They would also prevent spray from the edges of the tab and are also supposed to improve straight line tracking particularly at lower speeds as certain boats can have a tendency to wander at lower no wakes speeds. These can also be bought as a kit and retrofitted to the usual Bennett tabs.
    great info, thanks JN

Anyone running Bennett BOLT tabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    ... "Bat wing" - turned down edges supposedly to provide greater lift

Any comments on the best style of the actual tab itself?

...PS Looking at 18 x 9 for the HH650.
    Based on my experience, in a 'plate style' tab I would definitely suggest to go with the turned down edges style Crunchy, and you wouldn't need to go 18" wide either. 12 x 9 would be ample.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    ... I would go the turned down tabs as based on my reading they are designed to provide more lift ...
    This is indeed so. More lift means you don't need to deploy them (down) as much, which means less drag. After having my current type of turned down tabs I would never go back to the traditional flat surface tab.

When looking at normal plate tabs in operation there is always a lot of ‘spill’ out the side of the plates (because it’s easier for some of the water to run around the sides & not down under the plates – path of least resistance etc),

This spill is additional drag at the expense of some wasted lift. There is virtually no spill out the side of turned down plates and they cut a neat straight shape to the sides of the displaced water track (when you hang over the back). I would go this way regardless of what type of actuators you choose.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks Brendon, makes perfect sense really.