Thread: Shorncliffe pier today Thurs, 2/02

Shorncliffe pier today Thurs, 2/02

Gave it another crack fishing the tide all the way up again. Very quiet on the bream front but some flake for dinner on the shark rod. An hour before high they came on and then went dead bang on high. Caught 12 bream in that hour all just undersize except for two at 26 and 29cms. Bait was pilly. Only just got a mobile after all these years and the pics look crap to me despite the Galaxy 5 supposed to be one of the best cameras?

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Re: Shorncliffe pier today Thurs, 2/02

Good work and good to see you back on line and catching fish again. Always looked forward to your reports,not nearly enough activity on line from the northside. So what type and size was the shark before he became flake.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by tug_tellum View Post
    Good work and good to see you back on line and catching fish again. Always looked forward to your reports,not nearly enough activity on line from the northside. So what type and size was the shark before he became flake.
    Mick
    Thanks Mick. Those fillets are actually from a shovely about 5ft long. I'd already gutted and filleted as it was gut hooked (I reckon a set of 6/0 ganged Gamakatsu was worth recovering :-) before I caught a bronze whaler just over a metre long. It was only lip hooked so I got it to the landing stage and cut it loose.

Can't find those Gangster hooks in 50 packs anymore and 5/0 seems to be the largest size now stocked anywhere. I swear by 'em. Can't believe the price of decent terminal tackle since I last fished 3yrs ago!

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Ah! Shovel Nose Flathead. I reckon lots of people have eaten them without knowing. Yeah good tackle is creeping up in price but it doesnt matter that much to me as I dont seem to catch much anyway. I am also a good vermin fisherman. Last week end at Rainbow Beach (Carlo Point boat ramp area) In 3 hours my mate caught a Star Fish and I caught a Remora. All catch and relaease. Think I should give up fishing.
    Tug Tellum
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Nice, Kev.Were the bream under the jetty? Had a quick look on there last night with no joy. Bloody northerly made it nearly impossible to fish light. Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Nice, Kev.Were the bream under the jetty? Had a quick look on there last night with no joy. Bloody northerly made it nearly impossible to fish light. Cuzza
    Yeah, it was howling in the arvo mate and splashing over the foreshore. You guessed right. Swung the lead under the pier as I reckoned that's where they'd be but I had to put up with snagging a few times. I reckon they've left a lot of rubble down there. "Light" went out the window mate due to the wind bow in the line. Add to that I used wire as I'd been bitten off a few times by doggies last visit. The bream didn't seem to mind "heavy" but like I say, I fished fro bream all morning for bugger all and they only came on an hour before high and then went off just as quickly.

That's interesting that they took the heavy gear, mate. I've had a few stonkers run me into the timber under there, but only ever fished 8lb or less.

I had a couple of looks under the length of the pier last winter after the rebuild (freedive). You're right, a fair bit of structure left over, but not as much as I thought. Still left the old structure under there, so that's good. Couldn't see the old big grouper that used to be there in the years it was under construction. She was always in a cluster of wood between that's pretty much bang on between the rotunda and the end. Hopefully she's come back by now.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Yeah, it was howling in the arvo mate and splashing over the foreshore. You guessed right. Swung the lead under the pier as I reckoned that's where they'd be but I had to put up with snagging a few times. I reckon they've left a lot of rubble down there. "Light" went out the window mate due to the wind bow in the line. Add to that I used wire as I'd been bitten off a few times by doggies last visit. The bream didn't seem to mind "heavy" but like I say, I fished fro bream all morning for bugger all and they only came on an hour before high and then went off just as quickly.