Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MarkFish , using the MARK button on Furuno . review by Moose

MarkFish , using the MARK button on Furuno . review by Moose

Howdy everybody. ive spent the past few days playing around with the Markfish interface gizmo. its worked very well with the old 585 furuno and a garmin. made a little video review below- Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Re: MarkFish , using the MARK button on Furuno . review by Moose

No sound Moose, and I can't lipread . Anyone else have sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Moose, does this do something more than what hitting the "Mark" button on the GPS?

I presume this is just marking your location when you hit the mark button, no ability to "go back" and mark a spot that you were on 30 seconds or so ago?

Gofish,

I had sound for this clip. Just hover your mouse over the bottom part of the youtube link, there should be a speaker icon there. Click this to check that it isn't muted. My computer often defaults to mute.

yes you can go back. if you hit mark and then move the curser back over a fish or target on the screen it will save the waypoint back where that fish was. so pretty much like all modern MFDs with scroll back

you can also wire up a physical remote button so if you want to have a button on your baitboard for example that you can hit to save a waypoint the grey wire allows for it.

there is a new NMEA2K model coming soon. "Which will also double as an effective NMEA 0183 TO 2000 converter"

but i found this little guy pretty easy to install and use.

www.moosemarine.com.au

Thanks Moose, sounds like a very useful product, and relatively cheap too!!!

On an iPhone Bremic, with volume at max, still no noise, but other utube vids work fine. Oh well, will look at it on the puter.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Sorry, I used up my tech knowledge in my first post.

I found these things last year and thought I can just press the mark button on gps. but now and correct me if I'm wrong press mark button on my furuno once, and screen pauses and allows me to back track with cursor and mark bottom/fish?
    How far back can you go, is it only the picture on the screen?
    Thanks moose, great vid.
    Kev

yeah you can scroll back. but only the screens amount. so if you have your pic advance down low you can have a lot of time on that screen... but turn it up to a decent scroll and then your "time" is short.

Moose

www.moosemarine.com.au

Yep got it thanks moose

It's a pretty useful feature. I have a Furuno plotter as well so no markfish required but it's great to be able to mark a lump while you are belting along without having to turn around and go back to be accurate

Ausfish Platinum Member

All that, just to do what a cheap Lowrance will straight out of the box...
    ...sorry, couldn't resist, i'll just let myself out

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    All that, just to do what a cheap Lowrance will straight out of the box...
    ...sorry, couldn't resist, i'll just let myself out
    Yep.......if you can see what your looking for in amongst the noise

oh snap!!

www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

yeah you can scroll back. but only the screens amount.
    Oh, so actually not anywhere as good as a cheapie Lowrance combo, where you can scroll back a fair way, certainly off the (combo) view? And is it true that you need to be careful or you will lose those marks if you exceed a buffer size on the sounder?? Sorry again, just playing devils advocate

Just as a bit of background, I was a commercial fisherman over here for 30 years, drove various cray boats for 26 years. For those who don't know , crayfishing, or to give it the official name, the Western Rock Lobster Fishery, is a totally setting- by- echo sounder dependant fishery--you succeed or fail by your ability in this area, and the ability of your electronics. I used them all, starting with the big paper furunos (850 and later), then the revolution of the first colour sounders--CRT screens, such as the JMC V-11, then through others whose models I can't exactly recall, some JRC's ...last sounder I had before I left the industry in 2005 was a Simrad flatscreen.(EQ 44, IIRC, 10") Fabulous sounder for the day. GPS plotters were a whole separate thing , various formats, started with a NWU-52A, when we only had 3 satellites visible, long periods between fixes.Then stuck with a NWU-53 for the remainder. Backups done in 3 1/2' discs, that sort of thing.

The point that I am making, though, is that I am not exactly green with this sort of thing, and the ability of the relatively cheap combos available now just blows me away. We were paying $10k for something like that tri-frequency EQ 44 with 1.5kw transducer in 2003. Furuno are rightly a very respected name in this field--you would think they would have built in a relatively simple software based feature like this by now, instead of having the aftermarket having to build one. Demand is obviously there. I had a Furuno 600 with P66 with my last CC, good little sounder, sold it with the boat. Better in the respect of features like Shift, which I have always used, pro and amateur--that zoom and custom range business on the Lowrances' is a PITA by comparison. And having to swap pages to get context-sensitive menus. Noise? Little difference, if you get the right transducer on the Lowrance, and use the right combination of palette, colour background and sensitivity. It all comes down to reliabilty and cost, in the end, if you don't want to fish super deep. I think Furuno would have the edge over Lowrance in reliability, not that I have ever had any issues (yet).