Thread: Shorncliffe pier today

Shorncliffe pier today

Fished the tide all the way up and an hour of runout with ganged 6/0 pilly under a float to avoid the vermin on the bottom. Had 3 runs which after a shore tussle all bust offs due to (supposedly) 50kg snap links on wire which failed..................20lb line and yet the snaps failed! ..................remind me not to buy Kmart crap in future. Normally crimp my own wire but thought I'd give them a go at the price. Bream rod pulled 3 doggies between 30-35 cms and bitten off 5 times. Bait was prawn but I'm guessing the fluoro bead was responsible. Also caught 3 bream all between 20-23cms, No keepers but landed 2 nice sandies so got a small feed.

Saw two sharks actually rolling over and over on the surface which I've never seen before.

First time I've fished in 3 yrs but definitely back in the swing and loved every minute.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Shorncliffe pier today

Sounds like a good session to get back into the swing of things!

Good one, Kev. That's a great effort with the doggies. Were you fishing off the end? Any size to the sharks? Whalers?

And yeah, sounds like those snaps are useless. Mark at Tackleland in Sandgate has great gear.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Good one, Kev. That's a great effort with the doggies. Were you fishing off the end? Any size to the sharks? Whalers?

And yeah, sounds like those snaps are useless. Mark at Tackleland in Sandgate has great gear.

Cuzza
    Yeah, mate, I was on the end but the wind was so fierce the float was halfway between the end and the rotunda. I cast off the southern corner, gave slack and let it drift round to lie parallel to the pier. i reckon the sharks were nudging 2 metres but I couldn't ID them due to the large waves and them rolling. I only knew that they were rolling because I'd see a fin break the surface and then the white of the belly. Both of them rolled 4 times from me seeing them but they could have been doing it earlier. They were almost touching each other and in parallel............mating?

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Good to see you back on the boards Kev. Thanks for posting.

Interesting, mate. Yeah, they might have been having a bit of alone time. I saw a school of dolphins rounding up some mullet two weeks ago off the end. Another bloke reckons he saw a big whaler working the pylons down near the rotunda, so there's no shortage of activity.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Yeah, mate, I was on the end but the wind was so fierce the float was halfway between the end and the rotunda. I cast off the southern corner, gave slack and let it drift round to lie parallel to the pier. i reckon the sharks were nudging 2 metres but I couldn't ID them due to the large waves and them rolling. I only knew that they were rolling because I'd see a fin break the surface and then the white of the belly. Both of them rolled 4 times from me seeing them but they could have been doing it earlier. They were almost touching each other and in parallel............mating?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Good to see you back on the boards Kev. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks Jeremy

Gday kingtin, last year around September I was walking on the jetty around 2pm, around half way out a guy on the northern side threw out a pilly on a ganged hook, I said to my wife " what does he think he is going to catch with that here", anyway on the walk back from the end his rod was loaded up so I stopped to check it out, anyway to my surprise it was a snapper at least 65cm, I told the guy not to try and lift it but he did and line broke, but it was a snapper so at least I know they are there..

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Gday kingtin, last year around September I was walking on the jetty around 2pm, around half way out a guy on the northern side threw out a pilly on a ganged hook, I said to my wife " what does he think he is going to catch with that here", anyway on the walk back from the end his rod was loaded up so I stopped to check it out, anyway to my surprise it was a snapper at least 65cm, I told the guy not to try and lift it but he did and line broke, but it was a snapper so at least I know they are there..
    I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped heaps of rubble when they rebuilt the pier. It's definitely more snaggy fishing near the pylons and the barnacles and mussels are starting to rebuild.

Yeh Kev good to see ya back? Still in the same place? Ill beep my horn lol
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowrunner View Post
    Yeh Kev good to see ya back? Still in the same place? Ill beep my horn lol
    Thanks mate. No, downsized. I'm down the bottom of the road now backing onto the railway track. You'll have to swap jobs if you're gonna beep at me :-)