Thread: Flathead on the low tide

Blog Entries

Flathead on the low tide

Got up at 3:45am and loaded up. Was launching at the ramp right on 4:30. Headed out to my old faithful spot. Tide was pretty low so had to get out and push the tinny over the weed bed until I was in the little channel I like to fish. Beautiful sunrise was followed by a steady steam of flattys until the tide bottomed out. Thing went pretty quiet after that and I struggled to get any decent fish after the low.

Great morning on the water.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	115138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0213.jpg 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	115139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	115140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0215.jpg 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	115141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	115142  

Re: Flathead on the low tide

Well done funchy, we went for a snorkel at the northern end of Kings beach today and it amazing how many flathead are in the sand near the rocks, must have counted a dozen in an area smaller than a houseblock, was the same on Australia day..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Well done funchy, we went for a snorkel at the northern end of Kings beach today and it amazing how many flathead are in the sand near the rocks, must have counted a dozen in an area smaller than a houseblock, was the same on Australia day..
    Yeah, once the tide changed I spooked heaps, they went off the Chew. Definitely not an endangered species mate

Well funchy I gave it another go today, perfect conditions but its like a desert atm, water was 28.5 degrees, ended up with just 1 at 40cm and got hit twice by something quick, snapper I think and leader broke at join, used fg knot but must need to lock it better...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Well funchy I gave it another go today, perfect conditions but its like a desert atm, water was 28.5 degrees, ended up with just 1 at 40cm and got hit twice by something quick, snapper I think and leader broke at join, used fg knot but must need to lock it better...
    You'll have to head up my end and catch up for a Flatty flick mate

Cant believe how hard it is to find a flathead in warmer months, tried donnybrook this morning in perfect conditions for not even a throw back, just a diamond trevally on 3kg that we had to chase with the electric, god these things go hard..
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aus3.jpg 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	115330  

Blog Entries

That's a good one AC. I find in the warmer months the extremes of the tide are the best. Get in close to mangroves on the high tide as they chase the prawns in the Feb to May period. Have actually done alright this summer

Hey Funchy, what happened to the brown lab you used to have as your avatar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Hey Funchy, what happened to the brown lab you used to have as your avatar
    He was my dog until I went through a marriage bust up. Gave him to good friends as I couldnt look after him with all the travel for work now hes thriving with a young family. Since then I've moved on and got me a new Buddy.... so he gets the gig. Hes a jack Russel Staffy cross. Doesnt leave my side when Im around and a great little mate.

Sorry to hear mate. Glad it worked out in the end. I lost my two old labs last year. Now have two lab pups. What a handful.
    Thanks for posting your fishing reports