Thread: Weir Impoundment boundaries Qld

Weir Impoundment boundaries Qld

Hi all, been a long time since I posted here.

I have a question I've been unable to find an answer for.

The recent changes to the SIP scheme added a number of stocked weirs to the permit scheme. It was probably about time ad I've always held a permit.
    A question arises though.
    One end of a weir is easy to define, but where's the upstream boundary?

An example would be the Talgai weir on the Condamine near Clifton. If I were to fish at Pratten, do I need a permit? How about Wheatvale?How far upstream is no longer considered part of the weir? How does one tell? Running water?
    How about the Dumaresq river where there are several included weirs?Just treat the entire river as requiring a permit?

Thanks

Kev

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Weir Impoundment boundaries Qld

My interpretation was all waters above the weir but now you have me thinking. Still a lot to be sorted out with the new sips. There was supposed to be a representative committee formed to nut out how to distribute funds, The committee still has to have its first meeting with a decision supposed to be in place by mid year.
    Cheers
    Ray

Fisheries act says "above" so technically the entire waterway above the weir. Practically - where the water stops is the end of the weir. So if you are fishing a water hole that is not connected to the water body held by the weir your probably not going to be asked for a look at your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Fisheries act says "above" so technically the entire waterway above the weir. Practically - where the water stops is the end of the weir. So if you are fishing a water hole that is not connected to the water body held by the weir your probably not going to be asked for a look at your permit.
    That was my first thought but, how would you know?
    You'd need very specific knowledge of the weir location and river conditions. A waterhole may be connected one day and not the next. Anyone not from the area would be just guessing.
    A simple solution would be basic signage at public access areas. A sign with SIP Required on it would suffice.

I suppose another problem arises fishing the border rivers. I need a Nsw permit if I'm on the south of the border fishing the Dumaresq, where I catch a NSW legal 58cm cod. When I re enter QLD I have an undersized fish. Easy fixed of course,, release the little fella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had thought they had made the cod sizes the same, but Qld being weak as, NSW laws applys for the border rivers no matter which bank your fishing from, so that could be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I had thought they had made the cod sizes the same, but Qld being weak as, NSW laws applys for the border rivers no matter which bank your fishing from, so that could be interesting!
    Not according to their websites.
    From the NSW freshwater fishing guide regarding when a license is required:
    "and when fishing on
    the NSW side of the Dumaresq, MacIntyre and
    Barwon Rivers (a midstream border applies to these rivers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The official response from a Boating and Fisheries patrol officer is no permit required above the full level. Effectively, this means you'd need to find a gravel bar with running water at the least. Clearly running is ok as is a dry river bed
    They claim they won't fine for an honest mistake but give you 7 days to obtain a permit. I spoke with 2 officers, both said " just buy a permit"
    I usually do have a 12 month permit so this isn't a problem, however, the current situation is a bit like saying there are 60kph zones in Qld but no signs saying where. Just drive at 60 and all is ok.

Kev

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Above full supply level (FSL)

Above FSL, the water runs over the spillway and if the dam holds 100% that should be the level and the extent of the impoundment.

However if it rains heavily and for long enough that the dam fills above 100% to 110% or even 120% then the extra bit upstream becomes part of the water storage. Water running over a gravel bar in this situation may not address the extent of the impoundment upstream.

Common sense and local knowledge of the extent of flow upstream at the end of the wet season has to help.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by klyons View Post
    however, the current situation is a bit like saying there are 60kph zones in Qld but no signs saying where. Just drive at 60 and all is ok.
    Erm...unless I am misunderstanding you here, I'll point out it is 50kph unless otherwise signed. Been caught out on that one. My argument was "so wherever I am if I cannot see a speed sign then I must do 50kph???" So I'll just do 50 on the M1 untill I see a 110 sign shall I ?
    I still got booked. Very lucrative operation. Sorry off topic.