Thread: How Many Hours is Too Many?

How Many Hours is Too Many?

Am looking at a boat and the motor is a 2010 Yamaha 150 Four Stroke with 2305 hours on the clock.

I've asked the seller and he tells me that most of those hours were at idle as it was used on an fish farm and that the motor was regularly serviced.

My question is how many hours is too many for me to think seriously about making an offer and hour many more hours would it last without fully knowing it's history or should I just steer well clear of it?

Thanks

Re: How Many Hours is Too Many?

Mate,

I'd be looking more at service history than hours.

If it's been serviced well, and flushed after use etc, I wouldn't be too worried. Should have much more life in her yet if that's the case. You could maybe get a knowledgeable pair of eyes to look it over.

Cuzza

Possibly (I really don't know) being in that type of industry, it was probably left in the water, and never flushed? the actual hours are just an indicator of how much work it has done, it might blow up tomorrow, or, it may go for twice those hours.

Not sure whether the Yamaha software has rpm profiling like the BRP stuff does but if you are really interested and the price is right I would be getting an industry professional to give it a once over and provide a computer report. The motor could have spent big hours under load towing fish pens - who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Not sure whether the Yamaha software has rpm profiling like the BRP stuff does...
    Yep Scotty, sure does.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    ... if you are really interested and the price is right I would be getting an industry professional to give it a once over and provide a computer report. The motor could have spent big hours under load towing fish pens - who knows.
    ^^^ Yep great advice, regardless of what colour donk it is.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Cheers Brendon. That will take any "estimation" on the seller's part out of the equation.

Thanks guys am keen on the boat but just the hours scared me away from it. Although make sit hard being interstate will see what i can find out, thanks again guys

Get it cheap and flog it til it catches fire. I sold my 150 Yamahas with about those hours on them and they were still going fine. And probably will for many years to come.....

water taxis in bali have 23 yr yams ,operate 7 hrs a day x7days a week x23 years still going

It would want to be cheap imo.

Could go on for a lot longer but it could end up costing quite a bit esp with todays labour costs.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Used on a fish farm and worked all the time--probably never flushed , if ever, but don't let that alone put you off. Motors which are kept wet inside by working all the time really don't need flushing--it is when they sit around and dry out that salt buildup and corrosion are an issue. One reason pro motors always last longer than "babied" amateur motors.

Its probabily fine, but don't pay much because noone else will give u squat for it. U won't easily onsell if u later choose to