Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Shed Size

Boat Shed Size

I am planning on building a boat shed (not fully enclosed) ... to house a 6m-6.5m platey hardtop (don't have one yet) ... I would appreciate your opinions on what width & height you would recommend.

Naurts

Re: Boat Shed Size

As big and as wide and as high as you can fit in your yard.

Thx Noelm ... current plan is on a concrete slab approx. 9m long and 3.6m wide with a skillion roof ... It's the roof height I'm mostly interested in as I think the other dimensions will be plenty ...also exploring what it takes to have cantilever posts on one side (no posts required for the other) but think I need to talk to an engineer.

Naurts

Remember boats come with stuff. You will need space in the shed to house stuff

Sounds more like a carport if attached to house you won't be able to enclose any sides as the require 3 sides open to pass council easy. 9m would be the longest allowed again.

Most of the time 3m would be your max in height again to pass easier.

Counter levered post can be done easy enough just needs the beam to be engineered to support this.

This is Brisbane area. If you are in another state or even council regulations can be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Cantilever roof is going to take some decent posts and roof beams, not to mention how there're secured to the ground.

I did a 6 by 9 by 3.1 h I think with 6 posts bolted to the slab on a concrete slab with a pitched roof to keep it cooler even though its open all around. The 9 needs to be .5 m in from the boudary as in many places 9 m is all the carport you can have. One side gutter sits above the house gutter to get the distance off the boundary Great thing to keep the sun off and also good for garage sales and parties..
    What could go wrong.......................

All depends on cantilever Noelm, generally just 100x100x4 posts and 180PFC and standard footing nothing to hard mate and the only thing that adds costs is the PFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Assuming you have 2.5m beam, you would only have .55m to get down the side of the boat. You wouldn't be able to store anything else in the shed and would be a hassle if you needed to carry anything large to the back of the boat.

measure said boat including height add 10% to the height, and 50% to the length and width normally work out just right for boats up to about 6.5m

BigE

Just boxed up for my boat shed slab over the last week. Have a 7m boat hard top and I have gone with a 11m x 6m x 4.7m to give me room to move and store boating equipment. It's one of those shade shed designs and I am bringing the sheets down to about 450mm from the ground. I will make it lockable in time with doors and run slats around the 450 gap so I can have air circulating. The shed is free standing and is about 3 m from side of the house. I could have gone smaller in size but the idea is to back the boat in and wash and store all the gear in the one area. I will end up with 1.5m each side for easy access to clean and also carry out any maintenance. Also I may get a bigger boat down the road and I will be set up ready.

I have a 7 meter boat in a 9.2 X 4.6 with roller doors both ends, Door openings are 3M wide X 4 M high, If i did it again i would go minimum of 5 meters wide
    I have a 6 X 6 shade shed as Bretts above it is a very good system

COL

if you're talking an independent structure and trying to make a cantilevered roof, you better have very deep pockets. the size of the steel beams required to achieve an adequate bracing value to allow for all forces exerted on the roof and walls would be quite substantial even in a n2 wind area. If its attached to a house on the other hand, that would be easy. I'm currently building a block walled boat shed in a c2 wind classified area and i'm required to corefill all walls. Shed is approx 12 long x 5.5 wide and 5.5 high with rafters for a skillion roof.

just to clarify this assumption about the cantilever is only assuming that the shed has 1 side with steel and the other side is completely unsupported by posts kind of looking like an upside down "L"

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    if you're talking an independent structure and trying to make a cantilevered roof, you better have very deep pockets. the size of the steel beams required to achieve an adequate bracing value to allow for all forces exerted on the roof and walls would be quite substantial even in a n2 wind area. If its attached to a house on the other hand, that would be easy. I'm currently building a block walled boat shed in a c2 wind classified area and i'm required to corefill all walls. Shed is approx 12 long x 5.5 wide and 5.5 high with rafters for a skillion roof.
    That's what
    I think/thought he means, but I could be wrong!