Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belco Mackay Redco Trailers Any preference?

Ausfish Bronze Member anythingfishy1's Avatar

Belco Mackay Redco Trailers Any preference?

Hi guys
    I have decided to go rollers and it is a toss up between the above three.
    Comments with Preference and why would be great.

Thanks
    Kelvin

Re: Belco Mackay Redco Trailers Any preference?

Kelvin

I had a Mackay 29 roller single axle cable operated override mechanical brakes trailer under a 5.6 m al boat up until I bought the Seafarer Vagabond that is on a tandem electric over hydraulic braked Mayfair Tinka (Redco comes from there too) The Tinka has 55 rollers according to a mate who counted them the other day.

Both excellent and are fit for purpose.

The owners of Mackay (ex dairy farmers way back,) are very helpful knowledgeable people and were good to deal with.
    The Tinka has also been looked after by a gentleman who used to work for Mayfair.

I guess what you go for is subjec t to the boat your going to use it with.
    My Tinka only gets the rear tyre and a little bit of the rim wet when the Vag goes on or off as I use a 912 winch with a pulley block. (double cable slow but with enough rollers its easy) No more brake or bearings or rotor issues and almost no maintenance is required.

If you get a 912 power winch (or similar) there are a few tricks you need to learn re successfully using it. Your boat, based on the pic would be good on lots of rollers with a power winch.

There are also a few tricks to getting the boat off and keeping things under control and your bearings brkes and rotors out of the salt.

Cannot comment on the Belco

Hope this is of some help. Ask if you want more info.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I have owned all three and they are all good. Under what appears to be a Whitley Seamaster hull, my preference as Chimo said would be for a multi-roller Tinka Classic (which feature the subframe Redcos don't have) or a Mackay. My Tinka Classic is now 13 years old, has no signs of rust and I drive on and drive off every time. Equally, the guys at Mayfair Marine are Rocklea here in Brisbane are good people and will go out of there way to ensure your trailer does what it is supposed to do.

Thanks Guys
    Great Info
    I have only seen the Belco in proper photos, it has 40 wobble rollers. As below

Attached Images Attached Images

Free Membership

I have a redco sportsman for my 6.6 glass boat. Trailer is great. sits beatiful, easy to tow and launch and retrieve. Have had it for 2 years and still no rust at all in the brakes. Which I wouldnt expect, but I do see a lot of people complaining about it on other trailers.

i have a 10 year old Belco under my 6m platey by the original owners of Belco. It was a custom job, not a painless experience in getting it right but it is good strong trailer still going strong. Its a 36 wobble roller unit and i like the 2 part wheel dolly and A frame design, its done allot of work up at fraser ot tracks etc, its a strong trailer. Got a similiar trailer built there for my old mans stabie a few years back (new owners) its equally as good if not better, again it was a custom job.

I had a redco sportsman before my belco, it was more a production trailer but still worked ok and a good strong trailer. The a-hole the flogged it out of the carpark whilst i was out fishing must have reconned they were allright to!!

Scott

Kelvin where are you located?

Much easier if you include it in your avatar details so we know if its worth while for eg saying do you want to check out my 16 yr old Tinka ?

Chimo

Hi Chimo
    Didnt know you could do that.
    I am at Bribie
    Cheers
    kelvin

No Worries
    So now you know how far you would need to travel to see my Tinka and so do I (bugger)

Oops I just noticed what my avatar is missing too

I've got a Mackay open channel with v mesh at the front & walkway its superior to others except I've heard good things about belco. Both Mackay & belco are more expensive but are worth the money. I looked. At a lot of trailers when I replaced the last Mackay that came with the boat when I bought it second hand. I spoke to Mackay in Melb they are professional & helpful. The open channel feature is stronger & nowhere for rust to hide. I'm not keen on tinka after a fella in our Whittley club had no end of problems with the braking components on the wheels Mucked up & encountered expensive repair in Shute harbour shouldn't have happened apparently. All our Mackay trailers did the trip from Brisbane up there no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks Seashawgal
    What size whittley do you have as Mackay only make up to 6.1 in C Channel according to their web site.

Thanks
    Kelvin

Like sewshawgal I too had brake component issues at the wheels. No amount of flushing with fresh water would prevent the rotors etc from the affects of salt.

To effect a change in longevity it was necessary to no longer dunk the brakes in salt.

What really drove this home was to have the warranty on a brake repair / rebuild voided as payment was made with the comment made by the repairer that the first time the brakes were dunked in salt water the warranty would cease so he noted this on the invoice / statement.

From that day forth the perfectly good 912 Power winch on the trailer gets used as nature intended.

Years later the brakes are still as good as new and the trailer has very little new rust but some from the days when it was dunked.

a 5.3 impala
    The open channel is slightly heavier than the box channel.
    I love the sturdy v mesh & walkway which makes standing on & walking down the trailer a lot easier.
    I'd advise ringing mackay & talking to them about your options

Had three redco sportsman trailers (different boats) and have not had any problems at all, all very nice to tow and the Mayfair blocks are good to deal with. Rollers are easy to set up , good design I think.

haven't had a Mackay or a Belco. like the look of the MackayTrailers.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Had three redco sportsman trailers (different boats) and have not had any problems at all, all very nice to tow and the Mayfair blocks are good to deal with. Rollers are easy to set up , good design I think.

haven't had a Mackay or a Belco. like the look of the MackayTrailers.

BigE

Hi mate,

Just a query - you mention the Mayfair guys were good to deal with, were you able to purchase trailer spares directly from them or all via dealers?