Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belco Mackay Redco Trailers Any preference?

Ausfish Bronze Member anythingfishy1's Avatar

Re: Belco Mackay Redco Trailers Any preference?

Hi Guys
    I have decided to do the Alum Trailer from Mackay/Dunbier .
    The deal was every good.
    Got a rollered trailer to suit
    It does look the goods
    Cheers
    Kelvin

Just make sure you specify what tyres they put on if you get the chance. I have a Dunbier under my Formosa and I am certain they went out of their way to save as much as possible on the tyres with some cheapo chinese treads.
    Cheers
    Wal

Ditto on the tyres.

Are you getting a spare wheel and tyre too?

When I got my trailer there years ago they fitted the spare tyre so it could it was on on a hub (a spare) and the whole thing could be lowered so the front of the trailer could run on it with the jockey wheel lifted out of the way. (tilted) Was great for beach launching but if you have electric over hydraulic brakes you may not wish to completely dunk the trailer?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Belco Mackay Redco Trailers Any preference?

I've got a Mackay great trailer I rang Mackay in Melbourne & spoke to them about trailers before purchasing. I like the features on my trailer v mesh front & walkway open channel so as no rust can hide

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Ausfish Platinum Member

Jeez you blokes must have some steep ramps. Talking about not getting the brakes wet at our local ramps would mean you would be dumping the rear of the keel on the concrete block matting at high tide. Low tide is a different issue--effin drive-ons have excavated big holes in the sand off the end of the ramps , meaning you are driving the trailer off a cliff.
    When I hear people complaining their brakes are stuffed after a couple of years of saltwater, I always wonder about their maintenance. I only have the basic Alko overide discs on my Roadmaster tandem , fully rollered tilting cradle type (24 wobble rollers, 6 tilting cradles). They are the original 1995 manufacture, just hosed thoroughly with fresh water after each use, and stripped , cleaned and regreased each year. Our climate here does tend to be less corrosive than yours, much lower humidity, so I suppose that could be a factor.

Your probably correct about the humidity thing.

If you dunk and after you get off the ramp, flush with fresh water and then drive a long way and get things dry and hot you might get longer brake and rotor life but if you are only a short distance from the ramp to home and the trailer sits in a shed or carport forget about longevity for the trailer brakes etc.

Also you are correct in that not dunking works with our good steep ramps and a 912 winch.

You do have to love the drive on ramp wreckers tho.
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yeah, drive on is fine if you have a really deep solid concrete ramp, or rock at the bottom. Ours are those concrete blocks on flexible mesh type, laid on sand, cheap to lay but with problems long term. I actually have the brakes off this morning, just stopped for a coffee halfway through. Found my 2 yo bearings are showing signs of wear in the cups, disappointing. They'd be fine for local use, but I have a 300k plus return run on Monday into town to get the canopy looked at, then the big annual trip, loaded to the limit, in July. So, for a hundred-odd bucks, I'll replace them for peace of mind. And I was wrong about the brake brand, they are Ark, not Alko.