Thread: Fiberglass Quistion

Fiberglass Quistion

Hi All doing a renovation on a 5 M Express Tiny, Building seat boxes come Esky, Out of foam sandwich sheets designed for side walls on motor homes etc, Has fiberglass inside & glass outside with flow coat finish, Can i use it as is with the raw glass inside or do i have to paint or flow coat the inside Cheers COL

Re: Fiberglass Quistion

Flowcoat inside Col. If you are going to use it as an esky,It needs to be sealed properly.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

You could use epoxy and leave inside unpainted. Unlike poly resins epoxy is fully water proof. Mind you it takes ages for water to ceep through poly. So in a simple esky I don't think it'd matter really. flow coat is just poly resin with a wax/paint in it. It's no more water proof than plain old fibreglass poly resin

Question Re: Fiberglass Quistion

P1290001.JPGP1290003.JPGP1290004.JPGP1290002.JPG This is the project boat 5 meter EXPRESS that the seat boxes come eskys are fore
    I have built a bate station with tackle box Panted the inside fitting under floor buoyancy P1290008.JPGP1290006.JPG
    I Sprayed the inside with flow coat came up OK but have some small pin holes in the finish how do i prevent this in the future, Re vamping this for my run about, So will be selling my Not long rebuilt De Havilland 25 HP forward control electric start tiny & trailer With lots of new gear including new color chirp sounder, looking for about $3000 Col

Col

Excellent sea boat and good fun in the surf too.
    Like what you are doing with pool acid bottles as well.

Re the glass question, when I built some large frp structures years ago with really basic molds (ie timber frame with Masonite over top and melinex as the release agent I used to add 10% flow coat to the resin and had my colour all through it. worked a treat and would too for your job.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    You could use epoxy and leave inside unpainted. Unlike poly resins epoxy is fully water proof. Mind you it takes ages for water to ceep through poly. So in a simple esky I don't think it'd matter really. flow coat is just poly resin with a wax/paint in it. It's no more water proof than plain old fibreglass poly resin
    Youre nearly right Flex
    Flowcoat is mainly Gelcoat with some resin usually and a solution of Styrene with liquid parafin wax and pigment. You can get Food grade flowcoat.Dont know about epoxy. Why use epoxy when its usually 4 times the price of Polyester.
    Mick

Seat boxes are done, Very slow progress to many interruptions P2200001.JPGP2200003.JPGP2200002.JPG

Well done, that should keep the beers cold.

"I Sprayed the inside with flow coat came up OK but have some small pin holes in the finish how do i prevent this in the future"

I have had a few successful attempts at spraying both gelcoat and flow coat, thin it down a little more, Also I used a touch up spray gun with a small nozzle, I got a pretty good finish with a bit of orange peel but, sanded and cut back came up like factory..

Did the inside of a kill tank, but rolled it not sprayed, it came up like factory as well.

Regards
    Honda.

P9120003.JPGP9120001.JPGP9120006.JPGPB100002.JPGPB100003.JPGPB100005.JPGPB100001.JPGFinally have the Express renovation completed & ready to get on the water, Hear are Some finished pictures, Cheers COL

"I Sprayed the inside with flow coat came up OK but have some small pin holes in the finish how do i prevent this in the future"

If you want to reduce the number of pinholes,try using a layer of Surface Tissue over your Chop Strand Mat after you have rolled it but before it gels. It will take that industrial finish/pattern off the raw fibreglass.as well. It is hard to spray over fibreglass and not get pinholes. I usually brush my flowcoat on. Hope this helps.
    Mick