Thread: Good place for mud crabs on Sunny Coast?

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Good place for mud crabs on Sunny Coast?

Hello everyone,

I been crabbing a little in the Maroochy River but only getting the big females. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a few better locations around here or up towards Noosa? Even one crab would be good haha

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Re: Good place for mud crabs on Sunny Coast?

Look for drains that are not accessible by boat......will halve the number of sharefarmers and will put you in less heavily exploited grounds.
    Google Earth is your friend.
    Jack.

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Thanks mate. I've definitely had them stolen and tampered with before like nearly every other person who has them. Do you know if it's best on and incoming or outgoing tide and would 4hrs be enough of a soak time?

If the crabs are feeding 1 our is enough.
    Incoming or outgoing is entirely location dependent......trial and error.
    Jack.

The thing you have to remember with mud crabs is that they can live out of water for a long time, so always think outside the box where most people would generally not go, most people will stay in creeks where they can crab through all tides but there places that are heavily crabbed.

As above if you think outside the box you can be rewarded well it is always trial and error. Just remember if you crab shallow flats never leave your pot exposed at low tide as wild life gets caught and dies on the rising tide and is also illegal to have exposed pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Another good method is to tie baits onto droppers from mangroves in the flood zones, then walk through on the rising tide scooping the feeding crabs. 30cm of water is more than enough.
    Places like Weyba creek work well with this.
    Jack.

Another good method is to tie baits onto droppers from mangroves in the flood zones, then walk through on the rising tide scooping the feeding crabs. 30cm of water is more than enough.
    Places like Weyba creek work well with this.
    Jack.