Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: +6m Yalta Craft boats

Re: +6m Yalta Craft boats

Lucky you had a good experience. Doesn't put me off Yalta's one bit, but I felt it worth a mention(and I'm not the only one with this experience). Still would love the new style dash, but they won't sell it(we won't buy a new boat then is the words used).

The way these hulls punch big seas are a testament and I have personally put mine through the paces at 1770.

Have you seen this thread yet?

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-aka-Roll-Call

Free Membership

Good to know. I spent a bit of time in his work shop finishing off the boat with him so I could leave on time. The only thing I noticed was every time he said he had to go to the other shed for a different tool he came back with a mid strength tinny in hand hahah

Hey mate, i'm looking at getting a similar setup new and was just curious with the rough fuel figures with the 150?
    They have a 200hp max and have always been a believer in going for max HP where possible, have you ever wished you had more HP?

Free Membership

Hi Nirdac. fuel consumption with the 150 merc is +2km/L on an average day. cruising out to the shelf is about 18-20L an hour depending on how fast you are going. trolling is about 7-8L an hour from memory. I have never once wished I needed more than the 150. I think this may be because the Merc 150 is a 3000cc block so makes huge torque. The 200hp 4 cylinder Yamaha in comparison is 2785cc so I don't think the merc loses anything at all. When I visited the work shop there was a hull the same as mine with a 6 cylinder 200 Yamaha and the boat builder (George) said it was too heavy for the hull (without being outside specification) and was affecting the performance. He told me he has already told this to the customer but they insisted on having the 6 cylinder. In the end they added a Perma trim to try and help it

I originally was looking at a package with a 140 Suzuki as this is what was being sold through a dealer in Sydney, they also had the same model with a 130 salt water series. George told me that at 2000cc the Suzuki wouldn't be enough for the hull, which I am sure is true and his recommendation was the 150 merc 4t because of the 3000cc capacity.

The boat absolutely flies. I have lost track of the amount of punters at the boat ramp who say to me "arrr jees 150hp wouldn't be enough for that hull, wouldn't get away with anything under 200hp on that hull bla bla bla" The 150 pushes it to 78kh/h with a full tank of fuel (180L) and 2 people on board. So I don't know how fast they want it to go! offshore I fish with usually 2 on board, full of fuel and live bait tanks full and whatever other gear I need and it is great. Last year I fished a tournament off Eden and on the last day we had dead calm conditions, on the trip in we sat next to a 7m game king with a Yamaha 225 and kept up easily while flying past all the 30-40 footers.

I really recommend the merc 150 just because of the big displacement, and every time I get it serviced it only costs $330.

Thanks heaps for that! those figures are pretty impressive for a 6m+ boat, we often do 80-100km runs offshore with 4 people so getting close to that so reassuring to know we don't have to take spare fuel. The engine weight does seem to be the problem even though its a max of 200hp its only rated to 220kg which the 175hp Suzuki just fits for only 2867cc. That merc does seem to be a very good fit.

Unfortunately up in Nth Qld the manufacturers service agent is the bigger issue, we've had issues with the mercury dealer up here in the past so makes the decision a little harder.
    Thanks again for that info, as you said there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of information on the newer model yalta's out there.

Free Membership

Yeah the website is very dated and not full of info. Best bet is to call the boat place and talk to someone I think. I usually travel +30km offshore and troll when game fishing, the most I have ever gone through in a day is 100L but that was going maybe 45km out for bluefin.

Quote Originally Posted by nidrac View Post
    Thanks heaps for that! those figures are pretty impressive for a 6m+ boat, we often do 80-100km runs offshore with 4 people so getting close to that so reassuring to know we don't have to take spare fuel. The engine weight does seem to be the problem even though its a max of 200hp its only rated to 220kg which the 175hp Suzuki just fits for only 2867cc. That merc does seem to be a very good fit.

Unfortunately up in Nth Qld the manufacturers service agent is the bigger issue, we've had issues with the mercury dealer up here in the past so makes the decision a little harder.
    Thanks again for that info, as you said there doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot of information on the newer model yalta's out there.

Yeah i'll definitely do that when the time comes, have to sell the current boat first though. We're currently getting 1.6-1.8km/L in a 6m platey with a 180L tank and am happy with how that goes so just wanted to get some real world figures on what the Yalta would get. Thanks again for your help.

Hi wildfish
    hows the Yalta working out , I'm looking for a new rig myself and stumbled on your thread, any more info on the yalta / 150 merc combo would be appreciated, I am really interested in the fuel figures , so some more detail on speed revs and prop would be nice to know.

Cheers
    Big E

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    I haven't found George a good bloke to deal with honestly. I called up for a price on a new duck board, but never got a return phone call. I also called up for advice of the layout under the floor, and got no help. I know other who have tried to buy a new dash for there boat and he wasn't any help either.

Love my Yaltacraft, but George hasn't been the best to deal with for parts and service. I'm sure he'll be great if buying a new hull.
    I hear you mate I brought a new 2010 yalta 1800 all-rounda and had major fuel probs I asked the dealer i brought it of.
    they tried to fix it and could not so I contacted George and he pretty much told me to piss of.......
    so i threaten him with legal action a told him I would run adds and commercials against his company in his electrate as he was going for mayor..He said he gets the fuel tanks made so they were not his proplem 🤔
    Eventualy he asked me to drive the boat to his tin shed from Brisbane at no cost to him and he had to cut the floor out to replace said shit fuel tank. At 3 weeks I demanded the boat he was a #######.... HENCE NO YALTA ANY MORE
    ps the boat hull was great for its size
    happy days ahead summer is coming

as a haines man I say yalta are a good boat. Julian Demarchi has an awsome 555 hc, very hard to go past for the money that is for sure. If you want advice on a yalta ask julian, he has his set up very very nicely.
    what a sad sad AB

Free Membership

As I said to Nirdac - fuel consumption with the 150 merc is +2km/L on an average day. cruising out to the shelf is about 18-20L an hour depending on how fast you are going. trolling is about 7-8L an hour from memory. I have never once wished I needed more than the 150. I think this may be because the Merc 150 is a 3000cc block so makes huge torque. The 200hp 4 cylinder Yamaha in comparison is 2785cc so I don't think the merc loses anything at all. When I visited the work shop there was a hull the same as mine with a 6 cylinder 200 Yamaha and the boat builder (George) said it was too heavy for the hull (without being outside specification) and was affecting the performance. He told me he has already told this to the customer but they insisted on having the 6 cylinder. In the end they added a Perma trim to try and help it

I originally was looking at a package with a 140 Suzuki as this is what was being sold through a dealer in Sydney, they also had the same model with a 130 salt water series. George told me that at 2000cc the Suzuki wouldn't be enough for the hull, which I am sure is true and his recommendation was the 150 merc 4t because of the 3000cc capacity.

The boat absolutely flies. I have lost track of the amount of punters at the boat ramp who say to me "arrr jees 150hp wouldn't be enough for that hull, wouldn't get away with anything under 200hp on that hull bla bla bla" The 150 pushes it to 78kh/h with a full tank of fuel (180L) and 2 people on board. So I don't know how fast they want it to go! offshore I fish with usually 2 on board, full of fuel and live bait tanks full and whatever other gear I need and it is great. Last year I fished a tournament off Eden and on the last day we had dead calm conditions, on the trip in we sat next to a 7m game king with a Yamaha 225 and kept up easily while flying past all the 30-40 footers.

I really recommend the merc 150 just because of the big displacement, and every time I get it serviced it only costs $330.

I run a 17 inch enertia, which was recommended by mercury as the right prop for that hull. I can get hull revs out of that without feeling like I should be running a bigger prop. I cant really remember the exact revs per speed as I have been overseas for a while, but from memory 4000rpm is about 50kmh or so. Cant be exact but i usually cruise between 4000-4500rpm when on flat water. occasionally ill push it flat out, but rarely ever need to or have the water conditions to.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Hi wildfish
    hows the Yalta working out , I'm looking for a new rig myself and stumbled on your thread, any more info on the yalta / 150 merc combo would be appreciated, I am really interested in the fuel figures , so some more detail on speed revs and prop would be nice to know.

Cheers
    Big E