Thread: Outboard motor height on new boat.

Outboard motor height on new boat.

Just an annoying teething issue with the new boat, a 4.5 m side console tinny with a 60 fourstroke. I seem to have to trim the motor in almost all the way to get the nose down to improve the ride is mildly choppy water. At present the anti-ventilation plate is level with the keel. Running the motor with the trim set so that it does not ventilate has the nose too high. Would raising the motor (at least one hole) increase my ability to trim the nose down? Cheers Winston.

Re: Outboard motor height on new boat.

I think you need to lower it? but then, maybe I just read your symptoms wrong, I will have another go and fully "digest" what you said.

Some pics might help, generally side and rear view
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

This is my 6'th boat in 5 years and some of them I've had to do a little tweaking to set them up correctly e.g. trailer set up or propping. Only once did I change motor height (140 Suzuki on a 5.6 m Stessl half cab) but all have planed well i.e. nice clean wake as you trim out before any ventilation. My new and hopefully last boat for sometime bangs if you trim it up as per usual and when you trim it down for an acceptable ride, the motor is trimmed almost as far in as it will go. So the question is: will raising the motor help alleviate this? Cheers Winston.

What's wrong with running trimmed in if the boat performs OK that way? There is no set spot all boats should be trimmed to.

Trimmed in there is so much water coming off the motor, If I had an open well I would flood the boat. Cheers Winston.

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Trimmed in there is so much water coming off the motor, If I had an open well I would flood the boat. Cheers Winston.
    Yes, raising a motor will help keep the bow down. Motors shouldn't throw water up against the transom. If they do it is because they are too low.

Pressed tinnies often require low mounting heights as they give dirty water to the prop. Or cup the prop so it will work with higher mounting positions if required.

... At present the anti-ventilation plate is level with the keel...
    Which part of the keel? Most tinnys this size have an external keel as part of the ally extrusion - an 'I beam' hanging below the boat. "Level with..." the bottom of the I beam/keel, or level with the intersection of the bottom sheets/hull bottom?

... Would raising the motor (at least one hole) increase my ability to trim the nose down?....
    Yes, as this is pure physics ... but... with tinnys with external keels, sometimes ventilation is such an issue, or a crappy prop (or both) which means the motor has to be buried. Also, the hull could have a rocker, which forces the bow high (and can lead to porpoising etc).

Oodles of threads on all these topics (and related issues) over the years. The search function is your friend in this case .
    Cheers & good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Give it a try. Costs next to nothing to do it. If you get to a point where you are happy in a straight line but ventilation occurs through turns then start looking at props

Raised the motor 1 hole (well the dealer did), WOW what a difference! So much better, rides better, trims better and feels better. Thanks all for your advice. Just goes to show how many owners are driving boats which with a little tweaking could be so much better. Cheers Winston.