Thread: Sharkcat 560 trailer build.

Sharkcat 560 trailer build.

With the constant rain and humidity stopping me finishing up the remaining glassing to my 560 Sharkcat centre console, I have turned my attention to the trailer.
    Although the old trailer is in good shape, I have decided to build a new aluminium trailer.
    What I'm after is some opinions on material to use, such as C channel or I beam height thickness etc.
    Suspension , such as torsion or springs, braking gear and so on.
    Since this trailer will be classed as home built, making me personally responsible for its engineering, I prefer to over engineer for safety.
    All advice welcome.

Con

Re: Sharkcat 560 trailer build.

Pretty easy trailer to build, the only tricky bit is the guide for the tunnel, the rest is all just cut, straight sections, probably rectangular section would be the easiest to work with, I beam would be pretty close though, not too sure about sizes, but I would go "big"

Noelm, the metalwork is the easy part for me.
    Having access to a engineering shop to bend the C channel or I beam is not a problem.
    It’s been 35 years since I owned a trailer boat, a Marlin Broadbill that I built for myself while working for the company.
    That went on to be my first charter boat, now I own and run several large sportfishers.
    Since I haven't kept up with trailer design, material and running gear, that is why I'm asking for advice.

Master where are you located?

ibeam in ally is great but it can be hard to source in small quantities depending on where you are. C channel would be the easiest method.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Lovey80, I'm in Cairns.
    Both Ullrich and Capral have C channel 180x80x6mm and I beam 190x90x6mm.
    I'm leaning towards the C channel as in this photo.

cattrailer006.jpg

That' sounds the go.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.