Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Hi guys

Just been servicing my twin 115 4 stroke yamahas and really bloody don't like working on outboards.
    It got me thinking about the etecs and the minimal servicing is a big positive aswell as the 2 stroke torque.
    I'm thinking of getting a smaller tinny next year and il be looking at anything from 50 to 90hp. and I never thought id say this but I'm considering an etec !!.
    I'm not here to start an etec vs 4 stroke war and I know all the good and bad points.
    I just want to keep it strictly fuel economy.
    Has anyone got any real world fuel figures from comparitable horse power 4 strokes/ etecs or optis ?
    I don't care if its 30 hp or 300hp. just preferably same or similar hulls.

Re: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Lembo, I own a 22ft Southwind. Just last year I replaced my 90 etec with 100 Honda. On a typical day off Moreton I used about 60 to 65l with the etec and about 50 to 55l with the new Honda. The Honda is better on fuel and it goes better but it was a fair bit more expensive. The 90 etec was a great motor ....

Not exactly sure the servicing is "minimal" the only difference is the oil change, but the oil system still needs routine attention on a 2 stroke, either motor will be fine, but I don't think I would base my decision on some advertising service perception, you will need to add oil regularly which in some boats can be a pain, though a 90 has an engine mounted tank, fuel economy will be pretty even in either motors.

Noel, what servicing would you be doing on an ETEC oil injection system?

Fuel (and oil) burn would be hard to differentiate at that HP range. On a 40/50hp weight is also relevant in so far as economy and the ability to plane a hull at a more efficient cruise setting.

Servicing differences are more than just an "oil change". The 2S system has significantly less moving parts than a 4S. I have seen many ETEC's achieving 5 - 7 years between services without failure. I don't think you could achieve that on a 4S. The commercial engines here on Moreton Bay are easily matching the 4S's and more on longevity also.

Check the fine print on warranty if you intend to buy new and service yourself.

One weekend out we returned to the boat ramp and over head a couple guys talking there Optimax one bloke said he went out to the FAD than done some trolling along the coast line and he had used something ridiculous like 22 litres!!!! i was like what the heck we use that just running around in the bay on a old 2 stroker

I love the look of the E-Tec but if anything goes wrong its a dealer repair job, they are technical and all computerized that dealers are meant to work on only

530 quintrex spirit with a 90 hp opti runs at 2 Kms to the ltr in rough and as good as 2.5 kms to the Ltr in good conditions, heap of punch have another one in a heart beat.

Had some four strokes on other boats don't think there is much in the fuel econ side of things but under 115hp range the DI 2 has the power edge, over 115 hp i don't think there is much difference in power just delivered differently.

BigE

maybe minimal was the wrong word. but every 300 hours servicing, my yamahas would have 3 to 4 services in that time. I know etec would require checks but so do my yamahas. and the 2 stroke torque is appealing, especially in the smaller hp since some small 4s can be doey.

I know etec resale is poor and well etec reliability is one of the most argued topics in boating history. thanks for the info regarding the Honda, I know the Honda 100 and zuke 90 are good motors and both have the oxygen sensor ( lean burn) and variable valve timing which make a huge difference in power and ecconomy I was just curious about the etecs. and chasing real info as I never trust the brochers.

It used to be that the 2 strokes had the edge in economy at cruise speed and the 4s took over at troll speed but I think the lean burn programs have closed the gap a lot. Our 135 optimax was great on fuel. The 225 ho Etec on the 680 Haines runs a km per litre from 35 - 55 kph. It has big hours but has suffered with leg corrosion issues.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Just make sure you factor in the amount required and price of recommended dfi opti oil or etec xd100 oil and any fuel treatment that you would want to use in a 2s like quikleen etc when doing the sums. Last bottle of opti oil was $120 for a 9.78L bottle and im averaging 60/1 burn rate and anywhere from 1.5 to 2km per l in good conditions.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    One weekend out we returned to the boat ramp and over head a couple guys talking there Optimax one bloke said he went out to the FAD than done some trolling along the coast line and he had used something ridiculous like 22 litres!!!! i was like what the heck we use that just running around in the bay on a old 2 stroker

I love the look of the E-Tec but if anything goes wrong its a dealer repair job, they are technical and all computerized that dealers are meant to work on only
    Plenty of guys do their own ETec repair work. The software is readily available for the G1 engines and all the info required for diagnosis can typically be sourced on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Noel, what servicing would you be doing on an ETEC oil injection system?

Fuel (and oil) burn would be hard to differentiate at that HP range. On a 40/50hp weight is also relevant in so far as economy and the ability to plane a hull at a more efficient cruise setting.

Servicing differences are more than just an "oil change". The 2S system has significantly less moving parts than a 4S. I have seen many ETEC's achieving 5 - 7 years between services without failure. I don't think you could achieve that on a 4S. The commercial engines here on Moreton Bay are easily matching the 4S's and more on longevity also.

Check the fine print on warranty if you intend to buy new and service yourself.
    quite a difference between "attention" and "servicing" I didn't say it needed servicing, but if an owner didn't check now and then for (say) water in the oil container, maybe a loose hose or small leak, just routine "attention" and note I mentioned fuel use would be pretty close? Which was one of his concerns...even by your biased standards I didn't suggest an e-tec was inferior or not as good on fuel!

Re NoelM': 3 'expert' propositions:

1. Water in oil bottle - same risk on a 4S.
    2. Loose hose - same risk on a 4S.
    3. Cracked oil tank - same risk on a 4S.

These are not servicing items. Removing your cowl and routinely inspecting = preventative maintenance. The bottom line is the ETEC does equate to significantly less servicing.

About having to go to a dealer if anything goes wrong, I think you'll have the same drama with any modern 4S.

I had a 90hp Optimax on a 5m CC.

I would average 2.5km/L

Would get it closer to 3km/L in protected estuaries such as Noosa or the Jumpin Pin.

In about 180 hours of use, I had bought 4 bottles of the Optimax oil, the forth being unopened and most of the third in the reservoir at the time I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Re NoelM': 3 'expert' propositions:

1. Water in oil bottle - same risk on a 4S.
    2. Loose hose - same risk on a 4S.
    3. Cracked oil tank - same risk on a 4S.

These are not servicing items. Removing your cowl and routinely inspecting = preventative maintenance. The bottom line is the ETEC does equate to significantly less servicing.

About having to go to a dealer if anything goes wrong, I think you'll have the same drama with any modern 4S.
    Jesus you can be a tool....read ATTENTION, never said service items, also never said an e-tec requires any amount of servicing, I said, I wouldn't base my purchase on service, but, read into It what you will, you always do, there's a knob in every crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Plenty of guys do their own ETec repair work. The software is readily available for the G1 engines and all the info required for diagnosis can typically be sourced on the net.
    I'm a non qualified mechanic i often rebuild both 2 and 4 stroke outboards, i have owned a 75hp E-Tec and i have had the software i wouldn't touch it....