Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First ~4.2m SC boat - Quintrex, Stacer, Stessco, Clark or Horizon?

Re: First ~4.2m SC boat - Quintrex, Stacer, Stessco, Clark or Horizon?

Nope, not even trying to imply an e-tec has anything to do with carby motors, and if you read correctly, it's what I said, and I still say it...I would have a 4 stroke over a carby 2 stroke, see, no mention of e-tec at all, and also note, a couple of his choices are carby 2 strokes, pretty simple really isn't it? don't know about the chicken business, you lost me there.
    Last edited by Noelm; 13-01-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo

if your sure your only going to use in smooth waters look for a 2nd hand quintrex hornet, my old 4m wide body hornet was an excellent boat. very stable very economical if your dont try to make them in to a speed boat.

BigE

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all the comments and advice, really appreciated. I am leaning towards a 4 stroke at this stage if not for the better resale price.

I am keeping an eye out on Gumtree as I know there are some good buys out there.

Might also visit some dealers tomorrow for a look (will leave the credit card at home!!!) to get a feel for the quality of various manufacturers.

One of my mates has a new 4.2 quintrex renegade with a 40 hp 4 stroke yammie and it is a slug both bottom and top end.Tried everything with different motor heights and hydrafoil etc.On the other hand another mate has a Stacer outlaw 429 which is the same boat configured the same with a Yammie 50 hp 4 stroke and it goes a hell of the lot better than you would think with 10 more hp.The ride in both is good but the freeboard or height to the gunnels is questionable.I hate going across the bay in them when it gets messy... with the seat height it feels uneasy.

I have a 4.29 Outlaw with a 50 Yamaha and it goes OK, my mate has the same boat with a smaller HP Honda and it leaves mine for dead, I think it's just that model Yamaha that is not so flash.

First time on here for a long time, and the first post I clicked on relates directly to me. We have a 420 Quinny Renegade with a 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha and have to concur with a number of others (e.g. Noelm above + others). It is far from a rocket I can tell you. With just the 2 of us in the boat it is OK, but start adding more people and it really struggles to get up on the plane. If I was buying again, I would not go with this set up. I would probably agree with the poster above about matching motors with prospective usage.

My mates boat with the Honda is so much better than mine, but what pisses me off the most is, I had a choice between Honda and Yamaha, and chose the Yamaha, and I can tell you, for a 50, it is gutless, it goes OK, and with 4 people it is still OK, but it's just a slow old power sort of thing, whereas the Honda just zips along.

The choice of motor was very much mine, and it was the Yammy I wanted. I've considered some options of maybe getting it going, like a new 4 blade SS prop, but as I don't know whether this will do anything, or not, have have shelved the plan. It is an expensive option too not work any better. As it is nearly alway just the 2 of us, I live with it, but it has been disappointing to say the least. Another reason you should get in and really test a boat before buying, although in this bracket and price, it was not really offered. I don't think I am too old to learn (although some days I wonder!!), and I have certainly learned from this. Would not go a Quinny again either, but that is another story!!

I have a 4.35 Clark Dominator with 60HP 4 stroke which goes like a rocket. You need at least 60.

Also consider side and bottom thickness. You want 3mm in both. Look for underfloor fuel, front and rear casting deck, rear splash cover, live bait tank and plenty of underfloor storage.

Yeah 60 hP is the go for my 4.5 mt bluefin predator I run a 60 hP 2stroke and I could take 4 but 2-3 is the preferred option ,it's usually me and the misses it's been a great package for the last 13 yrs .... matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    My mates boat with the Honda is so much better than mine, but what pisses me off the most is, I had a choice between Honda and Yamaha, and chose the Yamaha, and I can tell you, for a 50, it is gutless, it goes OK, and with 4 people it is still OK, but it's just a slow old power sort of thing, whereas the Honda just zips along.
    Yamaha tend to make rather docile motors I feel. (I have a pair of f115's and they feel very sluggish.)

Be handy if outboard manufacturers published torque curves for motors (similar way 4x4 cars show Nm)
    I think the smaller yamaha's have terrible torque and it really shows in comparison tests

Honda and Suzuki have a bit more technology in their 4 strokes (v-tec,lean burn etc) and tend to be zippier engines.

I hate to admit it, but this is one area e-tec needs to be pushing harder on. Generally torque curve of 2 strokes is much better than 4 strokes on outboards and perform better given similar HP rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have a 4.29 Outlaw with a 50 Yamaha and it goes OK, my mate has the same boat with a smaller HP Honda and it leaves mine for dead, I think it's just that model Yamaha that is not so flash.
    Apologies for taking this thread slightly off topic, but what is it that makes one better than the other in similar HP? Is it gear ratios or something else and without torque curves how does one decide on a suitable powerplant?

Sifor10 I had a Quintrex 455 topender with a 50hp Yamaha on the back it went really well with one or two but would start to be a problem with 3 depending on how big they are(apologies to all my fat friends for not taking you fishing), I now have a Cruise craft Lure with a 50hp 4 stroke Merc on it and the same thing, 2 up it is fine but 3 up it struggles. If I was looking at a similar sized boat as the Topender then as Bluefin said 60hp 2 stroke would be the best or 60 hp 4 stroke as a minimum. When my current 50hp Merc dies(ten years old now) I will be looking at 60 hp 4 stroke minimum, not sure what but may have a look at the Merc command thrust models, maybe somebody else can comment on these motors and gearing who has a better idea then me.

Quote Originally Posted by Berger4 View Post
    Sifor10 I had a Quintrex 455 topender with a 50hp Yamaha on the back it went really well with one or two but would start to be a problem with 3 depending on how big they are(apologies to all my fat friends for not taking you fishing), I now have a Cruise craft Lure with a 50hp 4 stroke Merc on it and the same thing, 2 up it is fine but 3 up it struggles. If I was looking at a similar sized boat as the Topender then as Bluefin said 60hp 2 stroke would be the best or 60 hp 4 stroke as a minimum. When my current 50hp Merc dies(ten years old now) I will be looking at 60 hp 4 stroke minimum, not sure what but may have a look at the Merc command thrust models, maybe somebody else can comment on these motors and gearing who has a better idea then me.
    Yeah mate I am much the same boat so to speak , if my 900 hr 2 stroke merc has a major which doesn't appear likely at this stage then at the moment a Honda 60 hP is high on my list of likely replacement and Gary on this site would be my go to for price and service as I have only read great things about his service and price .... Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Coontakinta View Post
    Apologies for taking this thread slightly off topic, but what is it that makes one better than the other in similar HP? Is it gear ratios or something else and without torque curves how does one decide on a suitable powerplant?
    I think it is just design, don't get me wrong here, my motor starts instantly, idles smooth and quiet, and when crabbing it is in and out of gear all day, and it goes great, 50 is the max HP for my boat, and the Yamaha is OK, and even with 4 or more passengers, it is still OK, but it is just a "soft" motor, if you get what I mean! (Still hate the tiller though) my mates (I think 40?) Honda is just a "nippy" motor by comparison, probably loaded to the max, my 50 might even be better, but when 2 people, crab gear and the esky, in identical boats, his is much quicker off the mark, and very similar top speed.