Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mercury smart craft fuel gauge

Free Membership

mercury smart craft fuel gauge

Hi all. I have had my new boat for just over 2 years now. from the beginning the fuel gauge on the smart craft didnt work or was not calibrated or whatever. Since I bought the boat from brisbane and i live in victoria, it wasnt going back to the dealer to get fixed. I also dont really care that much, as the gauge still tells me how much fuel I have burnt each day, and in real time - its just the standard fuel level page that doesn't work. at the initial 20 hour service the mechanic moved around some wires and said it should work now. it didnt solve the issue. So I was meaning to get it resolved at another service, but I forgot about it, and then forgot again on the most recent service. Next time I do get it serviced I will be sure to mention it to them, But what is the most likely problem? I have manually entered the fuel tank size into the smart craft gauge and I thought this world fix it. but still doesn't work.

again as I said, I dont really care, as I the page that shows liters burned is highly accurate anyway. But if anyone knows a quick fix that would be good.

Re: mercury smart craft fuel gauge

So when you say "standard" fuel level display, are we to assume you have a resistive type sender unit in the tank that is hooked to the gauge? Which smartcraft gauge is it - there's a few different ones?

Free Membership

when i mean the "standard" fuel level, i am talking about the screen on the gauge that shows the tank is full to empty, I just didnt want this to be confused with the page which shows your burn rate etc. I guess I have a resistive type sender, i dont really know how else they work on a digital gauge. I dont know the exact model of gauge, i assume they are the SC100/1000 gauge, just from looking on the merc website. .

I will see if I can find a manual and have a look. There may not be a sender. Some modern fuel gauges rely on the user to program in the size of the tank and then how much fuel is in the tank as well as when fuel is added and how much is added. They then display fuel remaining by deducting the fuel used. If any one of these is not entered correctly, it will display incorrectly. I am not sure whether the Merc gauge operates this way or off a traditional sender. Someone with a Merc may chime in.

Just looking quickly, the Sc1000 gauge does have a calibration procedure for a resistive sender. You will need to empty your tank and run through this for starters at a guess. If you are familiar with using a multimeter it may also be worth checking the resistance on the sender wires at the back of the gauge (or wherever they connect - not sure) when the tank is at different levels. Think the Yaltas have a totally glassed in tank so access at the tank end may be an issue.

Free Membership

yes it definitely has a sender. My mechanic said he changed around some wires and it should now work, but it still doesnt. I have programmed it manually to add the size of the tank, so from the fuel burned it should be able to work out how much is in the tank, but i dunno how it measures the amount going in. well it doesnt anyway, as it doesnt work. i have read about emptying the tank and setting the calibration at 1/4 1/2 3/4 full etc. I guess i thought this sounded a bit caveman and surely there was another way to do it. maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I will see if I can find a manual and have a look. There may not be a sender. Some modern fuel gauges rely on the user to program in the size of the tank and then how much fuel is in the tank as well as when fuel is added and how much is added. They then display fuel remaining by deducting the fuel used. If any one of these is not entered correctly, it will display incorrectly. I am not sure whether the Merc gauge operates this way or off a traditional sender. Someone with a Merc may chime in.

It doesn't "measure" the fuel going in when you fill up, you input the amount you added.

My smartcraft guages show whats in the tank from the level sensor and shows lph/range etc from im assuming the info from the ecu with injector pulses etc. Even when calibrating my level sensor slight variations in boat angle can change the remaining amount considerably. Stick with fuel used data if it correlates with what fuel your manually entering in each time.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Free Membership

I know currently it doesn't measure anything at the moment because it doesn't work. So how do I set it up so it works just like a normal fuel gauge? If you had to manually tell the gauge how much fuel you just added every time you filled it up then its not much of a "smart" gauge is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    It doesn't "measure" the fuel going in when you fill up, you input the amount you added.

Free Membership

I think i have confused people. I am not manually entering any information. I manually entered the tank size, but that is all, I do not add the amount of fuel that i top up with every time I go to the fuel station, that would drive me insane. After I finish fishing I fill it up completely so i know I have 180L on board, then I reset the litres burned page so next time I am out it starts at 0.0L. I just want it to show whats in the tank from the level sensor, like yours does Triple. At the moment it is just permanently stuck on full.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    My smartcraft guages show whats in the tank from the level sensor and shows lph/range etc from im assuming the info from the ecu with injector pulses etc. Even when calibrating my level sensor slight variations in boat angle can change the remaining amount considerably. Stick with fuel used data if it correlates with what fuel your manually entering in each time.

I think you will need to tell it how much you put in so it can calibrate the gauge to the tank but I maybe wrong ,I am sure one of the resident experts will explain it all . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Free Membership

it says in the manual during installation to fill up 1/4, then calibrate, then fill to 1/2 then calibrate, then 3/4 then calibrate. But this isnt really an option now that the tank already has fuel in it. i guess I could run it down to 1/4 and try it, but I was hoping there would be an easier way!

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I think you will need to tell it how much you put in so it can calibrate the gauge to the tank but I maybe wrong ,I am sure one of the resident experts will explain it all . Matt

Yes, each time you fuel up you have to tell it the tank is full or if you didn't fill it, how much you put in. The system won't register your tank is full from the sender.

I think the first thing you need to ascertain is that the sender is giving a varying resistance with different volumes of fuel. There could actually be a problem with the sender (sometimes they get stuck or simply just fail), the wiring, an incorrect sender type (there are two common types - some gauges allow for the sender type to be selected - not sure with smartcraft - check the manual) or it could simply be the calibration has never been done and until it is it wont work.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I think the first thing you need to ascertain is that the sender is giving a varying resistance with different volumes of fuel. There could actually be a problem with the sender (sometimes they get stuck or simply just fail), the wiring, an incorrect sender type (there are two common types - some gauges allow for the sender type to be selected - not sure with smartcraft - check the manual) or it could simply be the calibration has never been done and until it is it wont work.
    I don't think he is talkimg about the sender Scott. My understanding is the tank level on the smartcraft is saying empty as the op has never told the unit it has a full tank.