Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best boat for commuting

Re: Best boat for commuting

Gday again... I'm curious, what are everyone's thoughts on inboard jet boat drives?
    I have heard for something like commuting one would be a better choice because of better fuel economy compared to an outboard. And there is no propeller to foul. And if it breaks down they are easier to work on while sitting in the water?

If there anything like jet skis then it's quite the opposite. Expensive to run and fix

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Jets are inefficient compared to propellers so will cost more to run when compared to a new tech outboard. Against an old school two stroke who knows. Being able to run shallow will be an advantage sort of - unless you manage to beach it - there will be no chance of pushing it off as it will definitely draw more water once off the plane. At least with an outboard there is half a chance if you hit a bank of being able to push the boat off after you tilt the engine up - I should know . Not being able to tilt the engine up to see what is caught in it and clear it in the dark should you manage to foul a jet - massive disadvantage.

get a hovercraft...

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    get a hovercraft...
    Interesting idea. Maybe an air boat.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Jets are inefficient compared to propellers so will cost more to run when compared to a new tech outboard. Against an old school two stroke who knows. Being able to run shallow will be an advantage sort of - unless you manage to beach it - there will be no chance of pushing it off as it will definitely draw more water once off the plane. At least with an outboard there is half a chance if you hit a bank of being able to push the boat off after you tilt the engine up - I should know . Not being able to tilt the engine up to see what is caught in it and clear it in the dark should you manage to foul a jet - massive disadvantage.
    Good points,thanks.
    I have been reading up on Hamilton Jets and they are far more widespread in NZ than here in Oz.
    It seems they are actually pretty easy to manoeuvre and stop in only 1-2 boat lengths.

It also appears they are almost impossible to foul. If anything gets through the grill you can open an inspection cover and clear it from inside the boat, and if anything does catch in the grill, simply turning off the motor will drop whatever it is off the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    get a hovercraft...
    Trust me, I actually thought about that idea

"airboat"

And that one too. My son's mate has one. It sounds like an aircraft taking off and drinks fuel.

Might be fine on glassy days but on even smaller waves would be scary as hell.

Before you buy anything why not hire an outboard powered boat and do your proposed run in daylight there and back or vice versa given where you will be able to hire a boat from.

You can then see what fuel you use and how long it actually takes.

If you use a Beacon to Beacon as your guide you wont get lost or bogged. Mind you even if you sort of know what you are doing and get distracted by people you talking to while driving its possible to miss a beacon and a turn and end up like many of us who are honest have done once or twice in our boating lives.

Pic.
    2016 pics off zte phone after computer fail 403.jpg

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

have you had i chance to try the route yet?

Quote Originally Posted by daveo17 View Post
    have you had i chance to try the route yet?
    Nah, still too busy preparing the move, building fences etc.

I have been watching gumtree, etc for a while now and when I saw a jet boat (Hartley 16' built in 1969) in my price range I had to go have a look.
    Took it for a spin and liked it... has a nice sheltered cabin with windscreen wiper, full skins, etc so will be fine in all weather. It's glassed wood and been very well looked after. Hartley design was for 19' but the builder shortened it. Motor is a Holden 202 so easy to fix.
    Turns on a dime, handles easy for a newbie like myself and being a jet can't foul on crap in the water or mud and sand. It's got everything, including electric motor in case of unfixable breakdowns, even a set of oars. Only thing I need to get is a good plotter, any suggestions?

Seller's phone was going off a lot with enquiries while I was there and even had another bloke wanting to have a look when we got back to the dock so I bought it.

Bit impulsive, yeah I know, but experience on Gumtree has taught me that if you want something don't dawdle or else you will miss it.
    Was a time just a few years back when you could get bargains everywhere online by negotiating hard because hardly anyone bought online, but these days everyone is buying online and things that are any good go real fast.

Can't wait until we finish moving and I can try the run with my wife to do some shopping and exploring.

If it turns out to be better doing it by car, oh well, we still have a nice boat for exploring the islands.

love to see a couple of photos the attachment above didnt work...a friend of mine used a jet boat for years ...the only thing he found was at slow speeds it was not so easy to keep control of turns..otherwise the jet was pretty straightforward...the motor on the other hand was not....but I reckon if your using it regularly...wont take long to work it out...all the best.

Might be because they are png files. Here's a couple as jpegs..Attachment 115456. Attachment 115455

Have a read of the "how to shrink pics and insert pics" section to make pics easy. (Infranview)

In the mean time " Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
    What could go wrong.......................