Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best boat for commuting

Re: Best boat for commuting

If you are set on the idea,something about 4 to 4.5 metres with a windscreen and canopy with sufficient horsepower to avoid needing to run at high revs. A tinny won't need as much horsepower as a fibreglass rig and will be a bit more economical but will ride a bit harsher in chop. To give you an idea on fuel burn, both my 15 foot tinny with a 40 and my old man's glass 15 footer with a 70 use about 25 litres on a round trip to the pin from redland bay. Both are/were 2 stroke engines.

Great, thanks for the info Scottar.
    What is 'the pin' please?
    At this stage I am thinking fibreglass, and I would love to get a 4-stroke with 80+HP but not sure if my budget will allow it.
    Are there any motors/models I should avoid like the plague? I am sure like cars, certain models are lemons.

i think you need to spend a couple of months learning the area in a small boat before making the 6grand leap of faith and driving to southport. it really would be a big risk for a newbie to attempt this at night. but good luck with it always good to see somebody thinking outside the box.

The pin is an area known as Jumpinpin. Basically the bottom end of North Stradbroke. You sound like you are on the right track with the boat but the fourstroke will probably blow the budget. Bare in mind you will be looking at older glass boats that could have structural issues due to rot. Employing an industry professional to do an inspection may well be a good idea.

Imo I would look for a good condtion haines hunter with around a 70hp or more and with a decent canopy you should gind a pretty decent 1 for around 5k

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'd rethink the ski. fast, cheap to run, then catch the ferry when the weather is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I'd rethink the ski. fast, cheap to run, then catch the ferry when the weather is bad.
    I think my wife would really put her foot down on the idea of riding a jet ski home at night. It's hard enough convincing her I'd be OK in a boat at night even after I had done the trip during the day a dozen times then trial ran a few night runs.

Quote Originally Posted by twappett90 View Post
    Imo I would look for a good condtion haines hunter with around a 70hp or more and with a decent canopy you should gind a pretty decent 1 for around 5k

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Thanks Twappett90. How much of a beating can they take?
    My wife and I were on a taxi going to couran cove one night and the taxi hit a floating tree, which made a hell of a racket passing under the hull. She's freaked out thinking I might hit a log and come unstuck at night by myself.

I'd be looking at an older Seafarer V Sea with a 70hp 2stroker on the back

Sent from my SM-G920I using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRiver View Post
    I think my wife would really put her foot down on the idea of riding a jet ski home at night. It's hard enough convincing her I'd be OK in a boat at night even after I had done the trip during the day a dozen times then trial ran a few night runs.

take her on a jetski and get her hair and makeup wet you wont need a boat to get to work as she may kick your butt off the island all together lol..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

love ur pic dr.. of that kool asian dude dont know why hes just got a cocky but kool attitude look on him.. my fav asian dude ever as a kid is my myagi or however its spelt (the guy off karate kid)..random post but had to tell ya..

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by daveo17 View Post
    i think you need to spend a couple of months learning the area in a small boat before making the 6grand leap of faith and driving to southport. it really would be a big risk for a newbie to attempt this at night. but good luck with it always good to see somebody thinking outside the box.

yup be carefull and id add to that to put a big ass spotty on the front can get pitch black with no moon.. we did that on an old half cab runnin up and down esturies at night it was worth it on many occasions..

Yeah, a big arse spotty is vital, one so powerful it burns any floating logs in front before I hit them.
    My wife is as down to earth as I am, she would have heaps of fun on a jet ski and the only makeup she might get on her would be mangrove mud while she was looking for crabs.

Have you ever hit any logs cruising the estuaries at night?

Ausfish Silver Member

nope but me dad in charge of driving when i was 14 going up a estuary in a little `14foot half cab over powered with a 115 evinrude so needless to say we were moving.. he went passsed a green marker at night pitch black spotty blinding out front and went for the next marker.. what he didnt realise was the next one was almost a hard right but he was lookin straight and went for the 3rd one straight ahead and not right then straight and BOOOOM from flat out to dead stop high and dry on a sandbank.. man the bang was loud and it all happened so quick.. so yeah be carefulll bro the first few trips b4 you open up the throttle like daveo17 says.. ..and glad ya missus uses mud 4 makeup sounds like you got your fishing soulmate lol... cheers bro..

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRiver View Post
    Great, thanks for the info Scottar.
    What is 'the pin' please?
    At this stage I am thinking fibreglass, and I would love to get a 4-stroke with 80+HP but not sure if my budget will allow it.
    Are there any motors/models I should avoid like the plague? I am sure like cars, certain models are lemons.
    This is a gee up right? How can somebody who lives at Russel not know what the "pin" is and then be seriously consider doing the commute at night? Maybe old Charles will sell the Beagle to you.😳

R