Thread: short to long shaft conversion is it really safe?

Ausfish Silver Member

short to long shaft conversion is it really safe?

hi gang.

if we can focus mainly on tinnies and smaller ones, and the subject of,, just because they sell jacking plates and a welder can weld a plate on a short shaft tinnie, is it actually safe?.. i know many have done it and had no problems but has anyone heard of the hull twisting or breaking? i only ask as i have a long shaft and want a tinnie and most smaller tinnies are short shaft.. when tinnies are made the strength in the transom and struts etc focus on the force and twist of the motor being low on the transom.. having the motor 4 or 5 inches higher is there enough strength that high on the transom?
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Re: short to long shaft conversion is it really safe?

You can order any of the main brand tinnies in short or long shaft transom. There isn't any extra bracing for long shaft, just less cut out.

Ausfish Silver Member

hey gbc..thanks for ur reply.. i was lookin at a 355 clark and thats the one i want rated to a 15hp it only comes in short shaft, dealer told me i can go the 375 which comes in short or long shaft but i dont need that big a boat.i figure as u say some tinnies will suit me and can be ordered in long shaft , if clark boats dont .. but only problem and why i ask the thread question is.i cant afford new this year so was gonna buy 2nd hand and most older tinnies out there in the size range i want are short shaft. and i wanted to know how safe it was to extend a transoms length, surely if i can find a long shaft small 2nd hand tinnie there will be no problem.. but id like to know is all..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

If the transom was done with a bit of thought, and by someone competent, then I reckon the transom would probably be stronger than most mass produced small tinny transoms are from new.