Thread: Hello All!

Hello All!

Hi Everyone,

Just newly arrived in Yepoon, and have to say, am already sick of this weather! It is playing havoc with my desire to find some good local fishing spots.

I have spent most of my life drowning worms and yabbies in freshwater creeks, rivers and dams (I came to the conclusion a long time ago that you don't often catch much inland), and am looking forward to concentrating more on saltwater fishing. I was lucky enough to do three Swains Reef trips on the Norvel with Raymond Gleeson back in the late '80's, early '90's, and that really opened my eyes as to what fishing could be. Even on a bad day you caught heaps of fish, just not ones you wanted to keep. Won the biggest fish of the trip two years out of three, once with an 18 pound (yes, that's how old I am) Coral Trout, and again with a 36 pound Spanish Mackerel and 27 pound Red Emperor.

Having got the boasting out of the way, it's been a very long time since I have been able to do any serious fishing. Pulled the beach rod out before this weather set in, and hauled in a three foot shovel nosed shark, but that has been it for a very long time. I would be really keen to hear any suggestions about bait, gear, where to fish (although I know this information is usually a pretty closely guarded secret), or to catch up with those interested in getting together for a bit of a fish.

Cheers, Peter.

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Hello All!

hi peter,, i dont have any secrets to give up or tips as such i just want to say welcome to ausfish and i hope you get those fish you want on ur new adventures.. im doing the opposite im going from living around coastal waters and esturies to moving along an inland river.. maybe when i get there we can exchange tips lol.. have a good 1 mate..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Ausfish Silver Member

land based or boat?

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the welcome, and all the best with a bit of fresh water action for a change. Happy to share limited knowledge about catching Murray Cod, Eel Tailed Catfish, and Yellowbelly.

Both Tracker. The boat is a whole new saga! Have had it for a couple of months now, and still haven't put it in the water. Trailer problems. I was assured that it was registerable before purchase, only to find it needs major reconstruction of the undercarriage to pass a roadworthy. Hence the dependence on the beach rod currently. Would ideally like to get out to some of the reefs off Yepoon. Hopefully that will not be too far in the future.