Thread: problems with the old merc.

problems with the old merc.

a recent trip in the little used ski/river boat with a 135 blackmax of uncertain year (stripe may once have been red..ish) went a little wrong when i figured out that while the engine ran very well it wouldn't trim up, a bit of an issue when i needed to get it back on the trailer. I some how managed to get it home without ripping the skeg off or anything but now its sat on the lawn as has dropped the last few inches making it impossible to move without damage.

i've some information that suggest a a screw near the top of the mounting on the leg can be turned to by pass the trim and tilt and make lifting the motor possible, but seeing as this is made of plastic/rubber it has long since seized and turned to porridge (soft and mangled head).

I'm fairly sure its a simply issue in wiring such a solenoid or a relay but as i don't know the year i can't ind an accurate wiring diagram to help me track this down.

Could someone point me in the right direction to either lift the leg of the motor so i can drive it to the shop or a way to find the exact model and age in the hopes of finding the wiring diagram. I've tried to the engine and leg number but they don't seem to mach up with the sources i've found.

Re: problems with the old merc.

Does it make a noise when the trim is switched on?

For starters, put your head next to the relays while someone else pushes the trim switch at the controls. If you can hear a click and the relays are two separate units rather than one module, swap them over and see what happens.

Thanks scottar. recruited a mate to help with this and the offending part was found. now to find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by airlock View Post
    Thanks scottar. recruited a mate to help with this and the offending part was found. now to find a replacement.
    So it was the relay?

It was, but had a good check over the fuses and connectors while the thing was sitting in bits. A little trouble finding the correct replacement but i've tracked one down now. relay was a pain in the arse to get out!

Love the black deaths but solenoids were not there strong point.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Make sure you check the relay supplied is exactly the same as the one which failed. On face value they can be same pins, however there are different types. Get the wrong one and it will.go up in smoke instantly.

G'day
    With the help of an electronically gifted friend I changed our suzi 140 relays to easily replaceable ones in case they ever go again at a cost of around 5% of originals. I think the later mercs had standard headlight relays as required by the military instead of the ridiculousley, no ludicrously inflated prices of original equpment designed to remove significant amounts of money from owners, sorta $2 compared to $150 cuz they sealed it in some epoxy instead of using rubber seal. Tis the case with the suzi's.
    And I've never had a relay in a car fail but had numerous relays in outboards go,

Cheers
    Rod