Thread: Prawns and Threadfin Salmon

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Prawns and Threadfin Salmon

Did a few trips over the christmas break inbetween and during the bad weather...
    Went to the Pine with my brother in law early boxing day morning looking to get a few prawns. Once we arrived at the spot just up from the highway bridge brother in law informs me that he had cut the rope on his net as it was too long a couple weeks ago, which meant that it was now too short and he couldn't reach the bottom which was 10m+ so we were down to only one netter. I managed about 2kg of prawns over 1.5 to 2 hrs, pretty patchy and plenty of throws with none but still managed some.

Went back down to the Pine on New years day early morning again, was solo this time. Managed 3.5kg of prawns over 2.5 hrs still patchy but better numbers around then. Managed to find a nice piece of timber on the bottom and pulled half the chain off the net which ended the morning's trip!

Hit the Brisbane river yesterday around 3am to have a fish, managed plenty of good live bait but couldnt keep the herring alive for some reason. Fished a couple of spots for only vermin so made a move back down the river. Around 6:00 I lost a couple of dead herring and there was no slime on the line so I was hopeful I had something decent hanging around. Half an hour later had an 88cm threadfin salmon take one of the dead herring which was a relief. Packed up and headed home as showers were coming and going and wanted to get out of the wet clothes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pine Prawns.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	114997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	114998

Re: Prawns and Threadfin Salmon

Well done again. You have those threadies sorted out, I can't get one for love or money but will admit right now, don't put the same effort in as far as night hours go. Having said that have seen them caught around me during the day

Sent from my ZTE Blade V580 using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Prawns and Threadfin Salmon

Hey Dezzer, I have plenty of trips where I get dougnuts! The bigger threadfin I have caught have been during the day, I just tend to have more free time during night hours.
    Live bait (or fresh dead as I am now finding) along the drop offs or beside structure in relatively deep water is all I do, just a waiting game then.