Thread: Stessl Boat

Stessl Boat

G'day to the Ausfish community.

I have just purchased a s/h Stessl plate ally boat and I am having no luck finding much detail about it.
    I have read about Alf Stessl and his business issues.
    This boats ID plate reads
    Stessl built by Jee Bee Pty Ltd Queensland.
    6.0m CUB
    150hp max
    6 people max
    S/N 600193
    The boat has 115hp Johnson outboard manufacture date is1993.
    I was told the boat was also built then.
    Any info would be great
    Thanks

Re: Stessl Boat

Stessl has been built by about 3 (at a guess) different company variations under Alf and then from what I am led to believe taken over by someone else within the family and the name changed to Mako Craft (think that was it at least). The boats seem to be alright - plenty sold over the years. Certainly don't seem to be any worse than any other mass produced tinny of similar construction.

Is that the boat in the insurance advert on telly?

Chinaboat.....What Chinaboat?

Not exactly sure, but I think they are now made (or at least sold) under a different name in Sydney?? But I could be wrong, might be made in China and sold in Sydney, just going by what a guy told me at the ramp a while ago, I was checking out his new tinny and he said "it's a Stessle, made in Sydney" but I didn't see any stickers on it depicting any brand at all, so, who knows?

Free Membership

i could be wrong but I thought the story was that the company Stessl was sold to buyers outside of the family. and then the Stessl family began building Mako craft, as when they sold the business they did not have a clause to say that they couldn't immediately start making boats again under a different name. This is just what I was told. Mako Craft is or certainly was built by the Stessl family, but I believe after they sold the Stessl brand. Only a year ago the Stessl business was for sale and I saw it online. The selling price was including raw material and all equipment to make the boats and lease on the factory floor space which was in NSW or QLD somewhere, so by all accounts they are made in that factory in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Stessl has been built by about 3 (at a guess) different company variations under Alf and then from what I am led to believe taken over by someone else within the family and the name changed to Mako Craft (think that was it at least). The boats seem to be alright - plenty sold over the years. Certainly don't seem to be any worse than any other mass produced tinny of similar construction.