Thread: Chart plotter woes, whats gone wrong with my Matrix 97 download

Chart plotter woes, whats gone wrong with my Matrix 97 download

IMG_0470.jpg

The other day I downloaded the latest update file on to my Matrix 97. I reverted the machine back to it's previous settings (original) and followed the Hummingbird download prompts to my sd card and then to the unit. All seemed to go well as the screen (photo below) sugests and so I took it out for a trial. Fish finder all works fine but no charts !! ?(top photo) I can get by with the Navionics charts on my iPad but would really like to sort this out, hate having half working things. I know it's old and even this latest up date is about 5 years old but it worked fine before I started messing with it, charts were just a bit out of date being from 2002. Yes, I could go for a new one but this one is fine for the bay and besides there's nothing left under the mattress after a very costly Xmas. I know I can send it in to the Hummingbird guys and they will do it, but again more money
    Anyone had this prob before, do I just re program it or do the charts have to be downloaded from a different source
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Chart plotter woes, whats gone wrong with my Matrix 97 download

Looks like you are zoomed right in - try zooming out a few scales for starters

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Looks like you are zoomed right in - try zooming out a few scales for starters
    Top RH cnr shows "no chart".

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Top RH cnr shows "no chart".
    Good catch Dignity. Check the satellite status view - the chart card version number shows up there. Also check in the chart menu that the chart type is set to chart card. If it is set to unichart (built in chart) it comes up with "no chart" when zoomed in. If using the chart card it should display "overzoom" in the corner.

Thanks Scott & Dignity.
    will check that later today.
    I did replace the original Navonics SD card yesterday to see if that made a difference and it did and I now have a chart which has given me at least something to navigate by but I have no idea if this is just with the original 2002 data or the later updated data. It is still showing on the Sytem Status screen that it has the latest 4750 update I did the other day, so perhaps it's working in conjunction with the older card. I do still have one of the screens saying "no images" but I don't remember exactly what this was for, I just know that there was something on it before I started all this, perhaps I should have loaded the up date directly onto the old card ?

Here are a couple more screen view photo's (below), one showing GPS diagnostic view which does show the chart card number and the other screen showing the accessory test. All the other screens are now showing a couple of charts as well as a birds eye view looking down over the boat image, the other screens are variations on the fish finder with dephths, fish etc. I did do quite a bit of fiddling around with buttons and I think I am pretty well set as it should be now.

I do have this odd blank screen "saying screen snapshot view" which I am pretty sure I activated the other day when fiddling, it originally was off, so that probably is my error. will get back into the menu and switch it off later.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0484.jpg

Did you perhaps overwrite your navionics map data card with the hummingbird software update file? Some of those extractor processes will replace the entire contents of the card, and given that hummingbird update will be most likely operating software only and not map data you wouldn't be the first guy to smack his map data. I always use seperate cards for updates and mark backups and leave my map cards write protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    Did you perhaps overwrite your navionics map data card with the hummingbird software update file? Some of those extractor processes will replace the entire contents of the card, and given that hummingbird update will be most likely operating software only and not map data you wouldn't be the first guy to smack his map data. I always use seperate cards for updates and mark backups and leave my map cards write protected.

Very likely if the Navionics sd card was used for the update. They seem to be very prone to corruption of the data if used for other purposes. Using a seperate card is definitely the safest option.

Thanks swof63 & Scott
    What I actually did was download the new update onto a new SD card and then down loaded it onto the unit. I then removed that new SD card and ran it without putting the original Navonics card back. My thinking was that would contaminate the new download. It was then that I realised a lot of colour was missing and there were few charts visible apart from the Birdseye view. These Nav machines are totally a new game to me and although I am computer savy to a degree, this has been a hair pulling excersize. Anyway, I decided to stick the old Navonics SD card back in and now it is as good as ever, wether it has all it's correct updates is another matter.
    Now I am thinking maybe I should delete it all back to the defaults and start again

Mate, I think this:
    what you have done is upgraded the hummingbird machine to its new hummingbird operating software. Your navionics map detail is seperate and unchanged.

The hummingbird needs the navionics card inserted to read the maps off it, they are not stored in the hummingbird itself which is why you had "no maps" when you had no maps in it. Putting the card back in gives you your maps back as they were - they will not be updated that will probably require going through navionics and getting a card with new maps. Not sure if you can do that via download but navionics/dealers will know.

Don't think deleting/defaulting will make any significant change I think you are good to go - updated "machine" with your original "maps". See above re map updates if that is your concern.

Cheers

That makes sense, the nav charts come from a totally different source, namely Navonics, will give them a call in the morning
    Thanks again

The Humminbird units have their own inbuilt maps (unichart) but they are poor in detail to the Navionics - this is probably what you were looking at. As swof63 has stated, the card does need to be in the machine to be visible and won't have been updated using the humminbird update.

I have just fired off an email to Humminbird to see what they suggest re sourcing charts

For those that still use these older 97 Matrix models here is a link to the Humminbird page that I downloaded my update from........
    http://humminbird.com.au/support/legacy-software/