Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weirdest catch

Re: Weirdest catch

I was a bit surprised to get a QLD school mackeral near the naval college in Jervis Bay. Friend of Nemo?

I have one that if someone told it to me I would call bullshit.

Luckily I had my mate Lance with me because if I was by myself I wouldn't be able to share it for fear of being labelled a bullshitter....

Ok, we were deep dropping off DI and there was a bit of run so we were using 6 lb sinkers, my standard practice is to stick the sinker in the side pocket of the boat and wind the swivel to the rod tip of a very heavy bent butt rod. So the top three baits were hanging above the water off the rod tip, with the rest inside the boat attached to the sinker thats in the sidepocket.

Going back up onto a drift we saw a couple of big dollies checking the boat out and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Turns out Dolly #1 was that hungry he had a crack at the top rig (at least 1m above the water) and was hanging off the rod with an 18/0 stainless hook hanging out of his lips. So we swung him into the eaky and banged the lid shut because he was a tad cranky, Lance hooked Dolly #2, and nekkminit we have nearly 40kg of dollies in the box by absolute fluke.

So a dolly caught on a stainless circle hook, 1m above the water on a mullet fillet.... for the record they go bonkers in the boat when caught like this but it doesnt take long to land them....

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
    I have one that if someone told it to me I would call bullshit.

Luckily I had my mate Lance with me because if I was by myself I wouldn't be able to share it for fear of being labelled a bullshitter....

Ok, we were deep dropping off DI and there was a bit of run so we were using 6 lb sinkers, my standard practice is to stick the sinker in the side pocket of the boat and wind the swivel to the rod tip of a very heavy bent butt rod. So the top three baits were hanging above the water off the rod tip, with the rest inside the boat attached to the sinker thats in the sidepocket.

Going back up onto a drift we saw a couple of big dollies checking the boat out and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Turns out Dolly #1 was that hungry he had a crack at the top rig (at least 1m above the water) and was hanging off the rod with an 18/0 stainless hook hanging out of his lips. So we swung him into the eaky and banged the lid shut because he was a tad cranky, Lance hooked Dolly #2, and nekkminit we have nearly 40kg of dollies in the box by absolute fluke.

So a dolly caught on a stainless circle hook, 1m above the water on a mullet fillet.... for the record they go bonkers in the boat when caught like this but it doesnt take long to land them....
    Wouldn't call BS at all Shane. Have had a similar occurrence (on somewhat lighter gear with thankfully a much smaller fish). One should never leave a plastic frog dangling from a rod tip when messing about with dollies - as entertaining as it can be. Of course handling one strapped to a deep drop rig takes it to a whole new level of LOOK OUT.

Barra fishing from Maningrida and hooked up on a log about two foot above the water line and the lure was hanging. After a few jerks of the rod to try to break it free an 83cm Barra leaped from the water and grabbed the lure and hung there for me to rescue and release.

Lucky Barra. I would have rescued it right into the frying pan =)

We catch them in Weipa a lot (by virtue of a dud cast) and have coined the phrase "tea-bagging" them. Cast over a branch and just "tea bag" bounce the lure on the water. Usually results in a lost lure but the "visuals" are awesome.