Thread: Micro jigging spin reel - high or low gear?

Micro jigging spin reel - high or low gear?

Hi or low gear spin reel for micro jigging? Does it make much difference? Keen to hear people's thoughts.

Re: Micro jigging spin reel - high or low gear?

Or keen to hear what 3-4000 size reels people are using on their light jog rods. Cheers

Free Membership

Hi speed +5:1. Okuma Salina 3, Diawa Saltist are good. if you want to go cheap a Penn spinfisher SSM 650 have a 4.7 gear ratio which will be ok and they are only about $70 and unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by WildFishExpeditions View Post
    Hi speed +5:1. Okuma Salina 3, Diawa Saltist are good. if you want to go cheap a Penn spinfisher SSM 650 have a 4.7 gear ratio which will be ok and they are only about $70 and unbreakable.
    Thanks mate. I wasn't sure if it really made much of a difference being micro jigs. I guess with a higher speed reel you can rip it up through the water column to mix it up a bit. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Billy,
    Most of your fish will be caught in the bottom 3 to 4m for me the speed of the reel is irrelevant. I use an overhead Ocea Jigger and it's fantastic.
    "Freyja" 2400 Noosa Cat / Viking Heritage

Thanks Mad Fish I suspected that. I have been using an old Daiwa heartland reel that is just about past it's used by date so about to invest in a new spin reel. Cheers

Free Membership

Yeah I dont think it is as big a deal as some make it out to be. but if i had the choice of 2 reels with one being a high speed and 1 a low speed i would take the high speed. A lot of the fish i catch are in the mid water and sometimes they will follow it up and down a few times before taking it. If you are jigging in 50m of water then you save a lot of rotations and effort having a higher rear ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Fish View Post
    Hi Billy,
    Most of your fish will be caught in the bottom 3 to 4m for me the speed of the reel is irrelevant. I use an overhead Ocea Jigger and it's fantastic.

Thanks Wildfish

I use a stradic fj 4000 on my PE2 rod, it still gets mac's when I'm chasing them and is fine for the more traditional mirco jigging, for the really light stuff i have a chronarch baitcaster defiantly the go over spin, lots more control on the drop where quite a few hook ups happen

Thanks Lordspink - I understand what you are saying with the baitcaster also. Cheers

My micro jigging outfit consists of a Gomoku PE1-3 and a Sustain 3000 with 20lb braid.
    I use this mainly for octo jigs but also butterfly jigs anywhere from 25g-100g.

I don't feel that speed makes much difference for what i do.

Thanks for the reply sam687

Quote Originally Posted by sam687 View Post
    My micro jigging outfit consists of a Gomoku PE1-3 and a Sustain 3000 with 20lb braid.
    I use this mainly for octo jigs but also butterfly jigs anywhere from 25g-100g.

I don't feel that speed makes much difference for what i do.