Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best spray for motor being stored mostly

Re: best spray for motor being stored mostly

Nothing, I used to spray motors when I first started buying boats 20 years ago but I don't think I have bothered in the last 6 or 7 years after being told by my mechanic that there is no real need to do it, any moving parts should be greased when serviced other than that you really don't need to spray under the cowl at all. FWIW I won't be spraying my new F100 with anything way to much plastic and rubber under the cowl.
    Cheers Axl

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Axl View Post
    Nothing, I used to spray motors when I first started buying boats 20 years ago but I don't think I have bothered in the last 6 or 7 years after being told by my mechanic that there is no real need to do it. FWIW I won't be spraying my new F100 with anything way to much plastic and rubber under the cowl.

if its a new motor and if at least the salt is rinsed of and its stored in a dry place, i probably wouldnt spray anything on something worth that much and it most likely being new wont corode for some time to come..i got a 2011 15hp merc and it is at that age where i want to give it the best chance to not corode, i guess the truth is none of us can say for sure it stops corosion but ive heard enough of the boys say theyve got 10 plus year old motors that are in top nic and they spray it, then its maybe worth it..each to there own i spose on wether to spray or not to spray...i will be spraying..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

I have used and continue to use Lanox (made by inox company) on my outboards and all over my 4wds (including engine bay). Do not use LANOTEC - I tried it once and it stays very tacky and anything and everything will stick to it.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Lanotec and Lanox are two very different products--I have, and use, both. Lanox (MX4)Inox is good for corrosion resistance on most thngs, including outboards. Doesn't seem to build up. Lanotec will leave a sticky layer--good corrosion resistance on stuff with no small moving parts to gum up, but i wouldn't use it under a cowliong, and joffo81 says above. It is actually good for corrosion resistance inside aluminium hulls, if you can get it up under floors, etc. We used to use it in bulk on big commercial aluminium hulls, on areas you wouldn't be standing or crawling on. There is also Inox MX5, which is a higher grade again, supposedly with friction modifiers, won't gum up. This has also been recommended to me by and outboard mechanic , it is what I am currently using on my F115, internally and externally . I'm not so keen on grease up around the tilt indicator mechanism--had mine go u/s earlier in the year, it was just jammed up with lithium grease gone hard.

G'day
    I've been using lanox on our 140's for a couple of years with no apparent issues and other engines previously. I have used inox in the past, until I found out about the rubber degradation
    Ranmar850, I had a quick look at the MX5, that's a silicone lubricant. Is that what you expected?
    I use silicone for lots of stuff but not recently under the cowling. I don't think I saw any other recommendations for silicone spray but just wondering?
    Cheers
    Rod