Thread: any1 know when 2 stroke sales will be outlawed??

Ausfish Silver Member

any1 know when 2 stroke sales will be outlawed??

i only heard myself in the last year or so, even though people may have heard whispers a lot longer ago, all ive heard was a comment here from a dealer,or a post online that they wont be for sale in australia for ever etc tec.. does any 1 have any real date? or has any 1 heard when it will probably be? i got my little 15hp and before they stop selling em i want a 30hp 2 stroke for future boat/setup that will be needed in a year or so for next venture. so why i ask is do i rush out soon? have i got a few years? and i dont have the cash today so cant go buy one now just to be sure, i could get in debt but if i have time id rather wait until im more financial.. thanks..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Re: any1 know when 2 stroke sales will be outlawed??

Wouldn't stress too much. The ban will only stop new units being imported. Dealers will still be able to sell existing stock and the second hand market will still be alive and well

Ausfish Silver Member

dont want 2nd hand bro, especially if there the last ones people will hold onto em until there nearly dead. if i have to buy a 4stroke i spose the world wont end, just have to save a little longer.

it will be a little while longer. depending HP.. expect it to take a few more years.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I don't think you need to panic, the general thought is that it will be a kind of "phase" thing, bigger HP first, then slowly down the line, most manufacturers have already dropped their "old" 2 stroke range in anything bigger than around 90HP, and most are dropping/limiting their HPDI/DFI versions as well, and as time goes by, they will scale back the others, some countries might allow them for years to come, who knows? whatever the outcome, there will be plenty of old oil burners around to keep everyone happy for a while yet.

They have yet to legislate the use of 2 strokes/ epa regulations, was informed it was being put forward late in 2016 to be implemented in 2017. Nothing has been passed as yet!!
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Ausfish Silver Member

kool moose just b4 they stop selling i want 1 more new 30hp i never had more then 15hp and im gonna run a big punt with heavy gear in the future..thanks..

Ausfish Bronze Member

Evinrude have released their Gen 2 motors all dfi 2bangers in bigger block (150 HO and up) with the scope to start producing G2 in smaller OBMs down to the I3s (75 - 150) then the 60s and below. So atleast Etecs will still produce, but the price tags arnt to much difference to the 4 banga market. Servicing to now goto out to every 5 yrs too I heard ..

Ausfish Silver Member

awesome bro, hopefully the rest follow and we can still get 2 strokes for years to come..

Not likely to see any traditional 2 strokes being designed and manufactured, Evinrude are the only ones persisting with 2 strokes, and they are a very long way from your carby 15HP you have now...

Ausfish Silver Member

damn noelm you always gotta be the fun police fact checker lol,, well i guess ill have to enjoy me 15hp for a few years to come and just let go, and go with the flow and face the fact new motors in years to come will be a 4 stroke...

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    damn noelm you always gotta be the fun police fact checker lol,, well i guess ill have to enjoy me 15hp for a few years to come and just let go, and go with the flow and face the fact new motors in years to come will be a 4 stroke...
    Just buy a 4 stroke and feed it 50:1 to annoy the greenies anyway

Outboard emissions standards timetable announced.
    Originally planned for early 2016, the election delayed standards by a year. We will see emissions standards for all petrol marine engines: outboards, inboards and PWCs, legislated in 2017 and commencing 1 July 2018.

The government Update Paper announced just before Christmas sees the Bill Introduced to Parliament in February/March, with the final bill passed and regulations in place by August.

Importers will then have op to nine months to plan for final shipments to arrive. “The final date for carby two stroke imports is announced as 30 June 2018” advised to Gary Fooks, Chair of the Blue Sky Alliance.

Stockpiling will be actively discouraged. Importers and Dealers will still be able to sell non-compliant engines but only for 12 months after imports stop. After 1 July 2019, any carby outboards in stock at dealers or importers must be destroyed or re-exported.

Dealers who embrace the changes, and move buyers toward clean engines will gain better margins and more service work. “Dealers will be tempted to stockpile old technology outboards and that’s a gamble which may work not work out” according to Fooks. “a handful of buyers may snap up the last two strokes but many more will invest in compliant engines with solid resale values, assured spare parts availability and not take the risk on old models.

The government has listened to industry concerns about evaporative standards and pushed the implementation back. Evaporative standards will be part of the review scheduled for two years after regulation commences. Evap standards in the USA require low permeation fuel lines and a carbon canister on the vent line.

The Australian standards will be based on the USA EPA rules but to make it easier for importers, outboards with certification in the USA, EU, Canadian and California (CARB) will all pass.

The rest of the twenty-page Update Paper is more about what won’t happen.

Exemptions for small engines was never an idea that would carry water. With a carby 8hp two stroke pushing out 59% more emissions per hour than a 150hp four stroke, exemptions were never viable” according to Fooks, who added “and to be fair, these emissions standards will also target mowers, generators, chain saws and brushcutters – all below 25hp.

Under the proposed rules exemptions would be granted only under exceptional circumstances – where no clean alternative is viable.

"The industry is moving quickly in providing consumers with specialized needs for example, BRP has developed an outboard for Surf Lifesaving in Australia” remarked David Heyes of BRP. “Based on the Evinrude military outboard it provides superior service, lower TCOA, while exceeding emissions standards.”

ENDS

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Just buy a 4 stroke and feed it 50:1 to annoy the greenies anyway

lol ha ha, how about i put a 350 chev in me tinnie and blow em all away with me petrol fumes..