Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broke down... twice!

Re: Broke down... twice!

Just reading this now, i have the merc 115's with f115 powerheads on them. The software program is good and being able sync both motors to idle/run the same is even better. Something to watch is the butterfly screws that sync the 2 pairs of butterfly"s vibrating loose and giving them a rough idle. Allso make sure you have the plastic covers all over the harness, Had an a problem just recently a 4.5v sensor wire coming out of ECU rubbing on block causing engine to cut out. In the manual it sais to clean injectors every 100hrs. Mine need it by then as well. Allso i have developed a problem with vapour entering the intake after a hard run sometimes, and only sometimes..... If you encounter this put to full throttle which cuts out injectors and ECU goes into flood start mode, few cranks and it fires up. (Only happens when running 5500rpm for over 2hrs straight and i cut engine before cooling further down, fuel boils in the VST and vapours go into intake causing it flood on start up.) Something to be wary of with these motors. Making oil is commonly from a stuck open thermastat, Check every 100hrs as well. There good motors mate.

Thanks for the info feral. I didn't know about the vapour issue. The position of the VST is a bit of pain being buried between block and in take aswell.
    Be putting spiral wrap on the cable looms I think.
    I'm aware of the making oil issue. But any idea of how much oil and what time frame this can happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Making oil is common in lots of brands and models, it's simply caused by running too cold (thermostats) or prolonged low speed with no higher speeds, or in rare cases, a sticking injector, the oil just gets diluted with fuel, and has a very distinctive petrol smell when the dipstick is removed.

Hi Flex, if you don't mind me asking where did you get the diagnostic cable and software from? From the US?
    Thanks
    John

Sent from my SM-T350 using Ausfish mobile app

Got it off ebay. Mine came from Lithuania of all places. Was delivered inside 7 days too. Works a treat.

Another thing flex to check when hooked up to your laptop is where the IAC valve is positioned when warmed up and idleing. The ECU toggles the ground wire to make little adjustments and if its not happy the ECU will keep toggling thinking it needs to make more adjustments and effectively eventually smoke your ECU. Typically the ECU calls for about 47 to 68% open at warmed up idle, Any less and you have excess air entering the intake. TPS sensor must be reading .700 volts with both butterfly screws undone.
    Just something to think about mate because i learnt the hard way.lol
    Happy boating.

Thanks Feral,

I was reading about this issue on the hull thruth forums. Do you know if it cooks the whole ECU or just the internal contact to the IAC? The IAC closes at full throttle?
    I tested mine with the software and it seems to work fine. I'm yet to do a TPS sensor adjustment/throttle sync. In process of making a harness for testing.

The bloke at the time i gave a look at said it was the TPS out of adjustment which eventually burnt out ECU. (Was like it when i bought these motors) so god knows how long it had been out of adjustment. But i don't know for sure.....I got the shits with him and took back my motors..... Also the ECU had another issue which the high pressure fuel pump would stop once warmed up, Turned out to be the Ecu as well.
    No need to make a harness, Your program will tell you TPS settings. Just make sure the TPS is reading .7 with both screws undone and go from there. Mine run at idle reading .728 to .730 with the IAC valve open 50 to 55%. From there the ECU will toggle the ground wire to make minor adjustments to achieve an idle speed of 750rpm. Plus or minus. Once you do it once you should'nt have to touch them again, mine had been fiddled with prior to me buying them so i had to learn.lol