Classifieds

Thread: Fish ID please

Fish ID please

Caught off peel this morning.
    Released as didn't recognise it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fish ID please

Looks like a Slatey Sweetlip & Painted SweetlipAustralian Slatey, Blackall, Bluey, Greysweetlips, Moke, Morwong, Mother-in-law Fish, Painted Blubber-lips, Painted Sweetlip Bream, Slate Bream, Slate Sweetlips, Slatey Sweetlips, Smokey Bream, Thicklip, Thicklip Bream, Yellowdot Sweetlips

Thanks. We had it as a harlequin sweet lip.
    Any good eating?

We used to get them when I lived in Exmouth but not too flash compared to the other fish caught there,

Looked after properly and eaten fresh - not as bad as the "mother in law" reputation is made out to be. Don't bother trying to freeze it.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Its a Painted or maybe even a Gold Spot Blubber Lips I think

I'll call it for a Netted Morwong (Plectorhynchus flavomaculatus).

They can be a fairly regular catch on the shallow reefs around the Redcliffe Peninsula at times.

cheers

Jeff

Definitely a Netted Morwong not a Painted Sweetlip (Slatey Bream).... Short fuse is right. Not good to eat at all.

Yep, netted morwong, very soft flesh similar to slateys, don't bother keeping them even when things are slow.

If you bleed and ice them immediately, they still taste shyte!

have caught about 5 of them here at Redcliffe over last few years and ate one of them. Was fine to eat, but i knew to bleed it immediately.
    I have always known them as a netted sweety
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.