Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Far away from Boxing Day Sales

Far away from Boxing Day Sales

I must admit I have allowed all manor of excuses to get the better of getting the boat out, when work slows things down, wind and unfavourable conditions have me surfing sites like seabreeze, Willy weather and the like, relatives come from everywhere to spend Christmas in Brisbane, which is nice, but you get overwhelmed with things that will soon pepper your calendar with commitments, and boating becomes near impossible to organize. But this time of year has its fringe benefits, yesterday ( boxing day) we left all the retail therapy to others and headed out from Rudy Maas in Jumpinpin, we threw left overs into the esky, cold ham, turkey, prawns....packing a lunch for just my wife and I took no time at all.

The first sign we were going to have a good day was when we called into the gem for a bit of bait and a toasted sanga for breakfast. The boys said we won't have any trouble getting a spot at the ramp, VERY FEW people made the effort to get out of bed, so far their morning was very quiet. They weren't kidding, I don't think I saw another boat until I had launched and well under way, half way to cabbage tree ramp before I saw a couple launching from there.
    We tried here and there, a couple of legal Moses perch which I didn't bother with, I am not that desperate for a feed of fish I need to perform micro surgery to fillet them. Around midday, we decided to burn off some fuel, still having around 130 litres since October, we headed for Peel. About half way I checked a couple of spots, it's not until you stop when you realize the weather is turning to crap, the wind was up, big showers were starting to move across the bay from straddie and from the east. We had converted our rigs from bait to soft plastics and frantically trying to get a few drifts in before the rain cloud caught up to us. The missus boats a 35cm snap. Happy! Until now her day was riddled with tangles, snapped lines, she even caught a tree when she overcast to a steep drop off in the pin, I seemed to spend a lot of time RE rigging for her, so to see her finally doing battle on light line was a relief.

Then the rain bucketed down, the clears came out to stop the wind from sweeping the rain into our half cab, we anchored to have lunch, pointing the nose into the wind. Hot coffee, tea, no need to get anywhere in any hurry, we just sat there, turning on the bilge occasionally to shed the extra weight of water pooling up at the back of the boat. By this time we are rigged up with big green prawns, cast out and dead sticked in the rod holders. Boom! The drag goes off, pan size snapper in the late 30's start playing with us, we kept 2 out of 10, awesome fun. The buggers seemed to know when to hit the bait, always timed to the second I reach for my hot cup of coffee! And so it went, my wife says " you know it's nearly 4 o'clock now"? Really? Better head home soon, I didn't pack any flash lights and we started getting text messages from the family wondering what to prepare for dinner.

I hope everyone lives their dreams for 2017 and had a great Christmas, all the best to Ausfish, Steve, Phil and their members😊

Brian

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Far away from Boxing Day Sales

Well done Brian, know what you mean about distractions and boating.

It would have been great between squalls.

All the best for 2017

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Nice read! Stoked you had a great day! Great to hear wives getting into some good fish, too! Hope you can get out there again soon!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ausfish mobile app

Nice report Brian. Happy New Year.
    Sounds like your wife and yourself had a relaxing day on the water.
    Let's hope 2017 brings us a few keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
    Nice report Brian. Happy New Year.
    Sounds like your wife and yourself had a relaxing day on the water.
    Let's hope 2017 brings us a few keepers.
    Thanks Brent, how have you gone lately? It's a bit challenging but looks like its on the improve don't you think? Poodroo tried wello, Nada... he thinks everything has been raked and it's a desert there.

Far away from Boxing Day Sales

Well done Brian, sounds like it was an enjoyable day out. It's also nice to get the boat out after a while isn't it, but October.... pffft that's nothing. . At least I had mine out the other day though too, and everything still worked!!

HNY to you too.
    Cheers
    Brendon

PS. Haven't seen you at a meeting for a while (no, not those AA meetings, the other ones ) ... not that there has been much fishing to talk about!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Yes Wellington point reef has been like that for a few years now.
    Jim was out a few days ago and said the bay was very dirty.
    I think the system needs a big flush out.
    I only fished a few times last year due to an accident in which I broke my foot.
    Keen to get back into it in 2017.
    I would like to see the bay shallows closed to trawling but I don't think it will happen sometime soon.
    Cheers Brent <><

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
    Yes Wellington point reef has been like that for a few years now.
    Jim was out a few days ago and said the bay was very dirty.
    I think the system needs a big flush out.
    I only fished a few times last year due to an accident in which I broke my foot.
    Keen to get back into it in 2017.
    I would like to see the bay shallows closed to trawling but I don't think it will happen sometime soon.
    Cheers Brent <><

Wello, Mud island and Green Island all used to fire for snapper 10 years ago, it was very rare to come home with nothing, but my last 3 trips to Mud Island and 2 trips to Scarborough Reef have not yielded even a throw back squire, trips for snapper have been heart breaking when you recall what they used to be like..

Yes 10 years ago was a smorgasbord of snapper in the bay.
    It's definitely harder to catch something these days you really have to work hard for a feed.

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Well done Brian, sounds like it was an enjoyable day out. It's also nice to get the boat out after a while isn't it, but October.... pffft that's nothing. . At least I had mine out the other day though too, and everything still worked!!

HNY to you too.
    Cheers
    Brendon

PS. Haven't seen you at a meeting for a while (no, not those AA meetings, the other ones ) ... not that there has been much fishing to talk about!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Hi Brendan,

I'm fighting hard to get back into a better situation, but currently work has me getting up at 3.30am. That means unless I'm hitting the pillow by 9pm Monday nights I'm barely an excuse for a human the next day... getting too old to be out late. Still keen to catch up with everyone soon.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Wello, Mud island and Green Island all used to fire for snapper 10 years ago, it was very rare to come home with nothing, but my last 3 trips to Mud Island and 2 trips to Scarborough Reef have not yielded even a throw back squire, trips for snapper have been heart breaking when you recall what they used to be like..
    Agreed, my sounder tells no lies, even the spit at peel ( south western tip) is levelled, there used to be much more structure there, and fish to go along with it. So how many rec fishos are dragging bits and pieces out to form their own private reef, as much as that isn't legal is it. But as my report says, we had some fun, still nothing like bagging out on 60cm fish at wello just 10 years ago.

Caught many 60,s around the Hybers beacon years ago.

How many people can say they caught DART at Wello Reef?

One morning in March 2006 I caught 18 legal snapper before 8 am and had to leave while they were still biting , was so much fun, using 2-4kg graphite rods, good little 1000- 2000 sized reels and 4kg braid and soft plastics, you would cast out and bang! screaming drag and head shakes, with the big brutes you would often feel a squeak through the line as they took you around a bombie and then ping! they were gone, I once took a mate out to Green island just before dawn and he caught more Snapper in that morning than in the previous 6 trips in his 5 metre centre console going off the gold coast, he had a ball on the light gear, but that was then, like I said my last 5 trips into the bay have yielded not 1 squire, and sadly I'm not going to make the effort again until I hear the fish are back..

Ausfish Silver Member

and thats why im a boaty, getting away from it all, hittin the water, lunch with the missus or whoever with, thats what boats are all about for me, time out, having fun and yes even a few snags and rain cant dampin the spirit, its all part of the experience.
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..