Thread: Mangrove jack at night (bait fishing)

Mangrove jack at night (bait fishing)

Hi all,
    I fish out of moreton bay and this holidays im interested in trying for some jacks at night. I caught one in my cast net up on a weed/ sand bank at night trying to collect bait. Is there anybody that fishes up on banks at night with bait that has had success with this method? any tips to put me in with a chance would be greatly appreciated, either way im goin for it as soon as this wind f#@ks off.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Mangrove jack at night (bait fishing)

I have caught the odd one like this out in the middle of nowhere but it's always been bycatch while going for trevs, jew etc. Sorry I can't help you more.

Thanks anyway sheik, does'nt look like many people fish for mangys this way. Still gonna have a crack i know they there feeding.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

If there is good cover nearby and the bait is about they will move out to feed - especially on the tide change. You won't find them everywhere - only where they don't generally have to stray to far from their hidey hole.

Yep, Scottar, agree. Some nice flats close by to a deep hole. I got a 52cm on sand at around 3 M deep about 200metres from the traffic bridge at Maroochy. I'm sure there's some science to it as Scottar suggests but I've not done the work. Some serious research needs to be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Yep, Scottar, agree. Some nice flats close by to a deep hole. I got a 52cm on sand at around 3 M deep about 200metres from the traffic bridge at Maroochy. I'm sure there's some science to it as Scottar suggests but I've not done the work. Some serious research needs to be done!
    The study in nsw revealed a lot about this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

At night jacks predate a long way from their snags.
    They will sit in ambush in a feeding lane and smash everything that comes through.
    Feeding lanes can the be the edge of sand banks, converging channels or the pressure head of turbulence. You will have to work out what your area selected is offering and predict the bait movement.
    Jacks will not sit on an open sandbank waiting for food, they will sit in a feeding lane though.
    They might cross sand banks etc to get to a feeding lane however.

Caught plenty of jacks 100m from the nearest cover before.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    At night jacks predate a long way from their snags.
    They will sit in ambush in a feeding lane and smash everything that comes through.
    Feeding lanes can the be the edge of sand banks, converging channels or the pressure head of turbulence. You will have to work out what your area selected is offering and predict the bait movement.
    Jacks will not sit on an open sandbank waiting for food, they will sit in a feeding lane though.
    They might cross sand banks etc to get to a feeding lane however.

Caught plenty of jacks 100m from the nearest cover before.
    This is some great info.

I, too, have caught a few from their suspected lair, but still, it was always in a 'lane' like you said, except for a certain lake on the Sunny Coast where they were in the open at times.

Can you tell us a bit more about the ones you caught a long way from any cover? Always good to hear some examples.

Cuzza

I caught one 48 or so in a little sunny coast creek in about 1m of water but close to small rock snags. As mentioned before, the only other one I've caught like this was on an open sandbank and while there could well have been a feeding lane I would have no chance of identifying it as it was in no-man's land as far as I could see. I would have no idea of how to go about replicating this in any of the other areas I fish.
    I have also caught three jacks in one day at a particular spot on the Mary near Beaver Rock but have never caught another there or anywhere nearby despite over 20 years of ranging through there. Why they hit on that particular day I don't know. It's nice to have some mystery...

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    This is some great info.

I, too, have caught a few from their suspected lair, but still, it was always in a 'lane' like you said, except for a certain lake on the Sunny Coast where they were in the open at times.

Can you tell us a bit more about the ones you caught a long way from any cover? Always good to hear some examples.

Cuzza
    Generally the convergence of two current lines or a windswept edge of a channel.
    Can also be the first bit of comfortable water from a broad lake feeds into a channel behind. (think Lake Weyba)
    Jack.