Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Which 6m boat?

Re: Which 6m boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Rod, KC 2400 is a nice rig. Plenty of boat for your dollar. Happy with it?
    Very happy, suits our particular circumstances very well
    Cheers
    Rod

Surprised the Cruise Craft boats dont get more mentions in this thread.

Or Carribean (Reef Runner, C2300 or Cavalier) Has anybody got experience with these?
    Currently have a Savage half cab and thinking of upgrading in the next year or so..

I like your user name Lancair.. I used to have one.. (currently go three dimensional in a C182) ☺

Sandbank Pete, way back when, I used to dream of owning a Lancair. Went for a fly in an early Australian built 235 once, WOW. Now I go three dimensional with someone else at the controls Maybe one day Ill be current again.

Getting back to boats..l just went and unexpectably (unplanned) bought myself a Berty 23.. now to tell the missus.. ideas on excuses/reasons and why I now have two boats would be appreciated ☺

We are right behind you sandbank pete !!!
    Be calm, un emotive, and tell her straight.
    Then take one for the team.........
    goodluck

I had a No Mrs and a Boat. Then I had a Mrs and soon - No Boat.

Now I have a No Mrs and a Boat. I am happy.

Boats make you happy - Mrs dont always.

Oh and A Boat with a bunk is always for the Mrs.

Bunch of flowers and a new kitchen table to put them on.
    May not work but worth a try

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So from what I gather the HH and Seafarers are the go but are you folks talking about hulls built in the good old days or are the current versions just as good? Can someone also please enlighten me; what is the attraction of the R-Series vs the Patriots/Offshores when they've all got the same hull.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

This is an interesting thread getting more interesting by the rise in temp, lol. So far we have learned that most people here judge a boat by how fast it can race through the chop. (relax guys , having some fun).
    My experience is rather limited on 6m boats. Mainly an older HH 565 variety. Friends nice boat. The ride is pretty good up to a point. When it gets very hairy, the speed drops and it becomes a displacement hull, heavy is best. So at this point, i would assume they all do the same thing, unless you really like flying through the chop. At 0.5-1m swells, lots of boats ride perfectly fine. Is it the 1-2m swell thats a bit trickier to navigate.? Only those more experienced can answer that, its not my area of experience. With the smaller boats i have owned, slowing down or adding weight improved the ride out of sight, wouldnt you know, hahahah.
    Not many here talk about deck area, cover (only down south, i guess) price and running costs. If its 6m double woven glass and heavy as shit, what size motor do you need to get it boogying? Bigger the motor bigger the hole in the pocket. And i strongly believe if its rated to 150, you put a 150. Build quality is another issue. HH,HS,CC,EVO etc are all top brands but which has the best build quality, NOT BLING quality. Yes i have been seduced in the past by the bling. we all love our boats but we also have a hidden little man on our shoulders that says " for a top quality boat , the manufacturer ####ed up here..." Are the older hulls better than newer hulls? so many unanswered questions.
    Heres an idea, a rating system based on different catergories. i guess it just starts a shit fight over categories. Come on, somebody throw another punch.

They all have faults. Just comes down to what is less likely to affect the way you fish.
    We all love bling, well i do, but i cant afford what i want.
    I too would like to know the reason the R is preferred. Heard it was heavier but not seen the data.
    I liked the room and the transom set up in my vag.
    Suits the way we fish mostly

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haines R series has a reduced cabin size, so more fishing room.

Haines Hunter 600R is a couple of hundred KG heavier than the 595 offshore, 1150kg v 800kg I think and rated to a heap more ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancair View Post
    Haines Hunter 600R is a couple of hundred KG heavier than the 595 offshore, 1150kg v 800kg I think and rated to a heap more ponies.
    I think the 600R shares the same hull as the 625 Offshore, not the 595 which is a smaller boat. Both have same length and weight but obviously different cabin and layout. I've never seen the R nor the Offshore but the older Classic (before the Offshore) seems to have very little deck space and only 3/4 length bunks.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Well I'm still kickin'. I did what Blacklab suggested and so far so good, thanks mate ☺ Anyway, I will probably look at still changing the "boats" out sooner or later. I find the savage that I have a smidgen small for a lot of the fishing I like to do.. great boat and in no hurry to get rid of it. Although the bertram I just got is a bit bigger than what I planned to get (totally not considered) it will be interesting to see how I settle into it. Bit bigger than the boats being discussed here and what I was originally considering but hey, I will let you all know how it goes.