Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which 6m boat?

Which 6m boat?

Just putting it out and not after the great debate but what are peoples favourite 6m boats.
    Is it the deck area or transom design, perhaps the ride that gets them over the line.
    I have a seafarer vagabond because of transom design and stability and that we spend most of our time at the back of the boat was the reason for getting a vagabond.
    What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: Which 6m boat?

EDENCRAFT 6M OFFSHORE for me. Solid hull and a tried and tested hull design.

Also built to Vic survey standards and a max 250 ponies

Not been in one nor have i seen a bad report.
    Believe they have had some cosmetic upgrades too

My favourite Australian 'hulls' presenting as a true 19" mono-hull are:

1. Lindsay Fry designed/built Seafarer Victory 6.0.
    2. John Haines Snr designed/built Haines Hunter 600R (the earlier model, not current).
    3. Edencraft 6M Offshore.

The man behind the magic of 2/3 agreed with (1) - he bought the moulds!

As you step up into the 23" category, the likes of Contender, Regulator and Abermale (all US imports) stand out. Locally, there are some bespoke custom built designs that appeal. Coota Craft's 'Bad Boy' is an impressive new local boat - just never ridden in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    My favourite Australian 'hulls' presenting as a true 19" mono-hull are:

1. Lindsay Fry designed/built Seafarer Victory 6.0.
    2. John Haines Snr designed/built Haines Hunter 600R (the earlier model, not current).
    3. Edencraft 6M Offshore.

The man behind the magic of 2/3 agreed with (1) - he bought the moulds!

As you step up into the 23" category, the likes of Contender, Regulator and Abermale (all US imports) stand out. Locally, there are some bespoke custom built designs that appeal. Coota Craft's 'Bad Boy' is an impressive new local boat - just never ridden in one.
    Agree with all but wondering what it is with the later 600 r assuming its the breeze you speak of.
    And is it the ride, layout or construction that impressed you

6.2m Kevlacat.

By far the fastest/most room of any 6m boat going. Massive deck space. below 3.5t so most 4x4 car tow it(just).
    twin everything for safety and with a few tweaks unsinkable.(depending on model)
    Most importantly it super stable at rest when fishing, walkthrough transom on some models is best fishing spot in the boat.
    cheap boat to compared to other cats/mono's. can buy yourself an offshore weapon for 50k or less.

5.6sharkcat is a close second to the above IMO, but doesn't ride quite aswell.

21-23f sharkcat is faster but they are 7m boats..

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla1 View Post
    EDENCRAFT 6M OFFSHORE for me. Solid hull and a tried and tested hull design.

Also built to Vic survey standards and a max 250 ponies
    yes ...I know some criticise them as a bit basic fit out but they would be my choice as well.

I guess not a lot of Cootacraft make it up to QLD...They are beautifully built...strong and classic clean lines....Im thinking the Haines Edencraft Cootacraft have very similar design heritage in these offshore hulls..but the build quality of Cootacraft is several steps better.... I have an older Haines and the construction was very "commercial"

Eden craft if you can get or afford one then Lindsay Fry's DADDY built Vagabond...Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Really like the Cootacraft. Especially the "gunshot'" a lot of boat for an 18ft!

Unfortunately I've only had the chance to look one over at the boat ramp at Lakes Entrance when visiting the old man.

Another Victorian boat builder I like are the Bass Strait. Never seen one up here in Queensland but the specs look impressive.

-metre

https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/6-metre-shootout/

This is the three in a challenge.
    Not loaded with info but worth a read

Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that one before.

All three are right at the top for mono .
    No surprise that the straiter being the lightest is the dryest. All run wave breakers, are well built and would suit those that live on the edge

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    6.2m Kevlacat.

By far the fastest/most room of any 6m boat going. Massive deck space. below 3.5t so most 4x4 car tow it(just).
    twin everything for safety and with a few tweaks unsinkable.(depending on model)
    Most importantly it super stable at rest when fishing, walkthrough transom on some models is best fishing spot in the boat.
    cheap boat to compared to other cats/mono's. can buy yourself an offshore weapon for 50k or less.

5.6sharkcat is a close second to the above IMO, but doesn't ride quite aswell.

21-23f sharkcat is faster but they are 7m boats..
    i haven't seen too many 6.2m KC's around that are in very good nick. Lots were used as pro boats. For something newer I don't think you could go past the 5.9m Supersports Cat built in Caloundra.

Excellent build quality, really straight hulls. By all reports will out do a KC on performance and it's customisable to a certain degree. IMO the best boat being built in Australia under 6m. I want to see one with a full glass hard top.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.