Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which 6m boat?

Re: Which 6m boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I guess to be fair, it needs to be clear exactly what "rough seas" actually means, a bit of wind blown chop is entirely different to a (say) 6m swell with breaking tops, if we are talking about chop from 15k wind, then I doubt any of the monos would get near any of the cats for ride, we are talking about what magazines call "snotty, ordinary conditions" and phrases like that, but, put a "big sea" into the equation, and the whole boating world changes considerably.
    Not just "rough seas" either. There are way too many variables to realistically put forward any more than generalizations on this subject. The skipper, the individuals tolerance for "banging", the speeds at which the individual likes to travel, the set up of the boat, the specifics of the sea on a given day. There would only be one way to put the argument to bed - which is more or less physically impossible due to the sheer cost that would be involved in taking the human element out of the equation for a direct side by side comparison on the same day with remote controls and shock sensors. Even then though the results would be specific to a set of conditions. It's an argument that will keep on keeping on for as long as people keep boating until some smart bugger manages to make one that floats on air.

I think if we are to compare ride in a rec boat. You have to rule out any conditions above 20knots.

No one I know goes offshore if it's blowing 20knots all day.
    Maybe put up with 15-20 if it's dropping out. But not all day long.
    Also rule out getting caught in storms. Doesn't matter what boat you have in a thunderstorm. Your going to blow a kidney out

Most people head out in 5-15knot winds, so I think that's the best way to compare hulls for offshore capability.

I don't own one, completely unbiased. Noelm, was the 585R the softest 6 metre mono you ever went in? if you disagree, I don't think you have been in one. Maybe you confused it with another boat?
    Hard to define rough I guess as everyone has a different definition. Personally I wouldnt include huge seas and storm conditions. Maybe 20 knot winds. But then again 20 knots of South Easterly FNQ chop is different to 20 knots of Moreton Bay chop, which is different again to 20 knots in Bass Strait.
    In 15-20 knots I would back the 585R against any 6 metre mono mentioned so far. But I haven't been in a 6m Cootacraft, so that would be my wild card.

To be perfectly honest, I kind of think the 585 was at best OK, certainly short of the softest ride I have been in, and no, not confusing it with any other boat, that said, there is a lot that are a hell of a lot worse too! as Scott mentioned, ride and outright speed can depend entirely on what the driver can take, or worst still, what he is prepared to put his crew through....lots of boats can go fast, it's HP that governs how fast your boat will go (planing boats this is) if you want to be the first in some sort of ocean race, then up the HP, I prefer to get there relaxed and all my gear still in one piece, and still in the boat, but then, maybe that's just old age creeping up?

Noelm, which 6 metre monos were softer riding?

don't be shy now. I am curious, and I am sure others are too.

I guess we have our answer.
    I really was curious, because I'd love to check out a better riding boat in that size, but there just doesn't seem to be one.

Mate given the time of year Noelm might be out enjoying fishing and boating and without the time or desire to be on the keyboard answering questions. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

i would guess he's just had enough of this thread.

Yes. I was being sarcastic...I'm sure he has clocked off the the thread for good reason. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Shame..
    I was interested in everyones thoughts on why they chose there boats.
    I have been in a 585 and thought it went well.
    Some skippers drive their boats a little harder than others and may not always show their boats best side. Yet others are the opposite and not see the boats real potential.
    I like my vagabond and many others that have been in it say likewise but i have moved on from those good old days where nothing hurt as it does now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You mean your body not the boat barbs don't you?

All the best to you and yours for the new year with lots of grass for you and the girls! (and the few boys that are on hand)

Cheers
    Chimo

PS I like my Vag too especially when I use the tabs properly.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    You mean your body not the boat barbs don't you?

All the best to you and yours for the new year with lots of grass for you and the girls! (and the few boys that are on hand)

Cheers
    Chimo

PS I like my Vag too especially when I use the tabs properly.
    To you and yours from us and ours, have a good one cheers mate

If I said what I thought of this guy calling Noelm out ol mate LP would ban me so I won't say a thing. Happy New Year Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    If I said what I thought of this guy calling Noelm out ol mate LP would ban me so I won't say a thing. Happy New Year Phil.
    Happy new year Terry