Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which 6m boat?

Re: Which 6m boat?

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    For me the most important thing is ride and thats where the 585R has no equal in the 6 metre class. It doesn't have much of a cabin, but has good cockpit space. Its also very stable which is not common with other soft riding boats. Usually its a compromise.
    Layout, style, storage, configuration, are all personal things where everyone has a different opinion or preference.
    Ran out of stanage bay about 6m months ago alongside a 6.8 walkaround patriot in my 5.6m sharkcat. Also in our crew was a 2400KC and a 6.2m centre conole KC all left ramp at stanage about the same time.

the haines went well but my Sharkcat and the 2400 were a fair bit quicker in the rough heading out to Hexam group in fairly ordinary conditions. I'd say 10-15km/h faster roughly.

My mates 6.2 CC kevlacat flew past me and the 2400 like they were standing still though. Unreal how good it is in the rough without a cab on it.
    It was a good indication of sea keeping abilities for the 4 boats. As we all were running in the same direction for a fair while.

Now as I mentioned earlier, ride isn't everything in a boat.
    If you only travel 20-30km out then other factors should weigh higher in your boat purchase

dont worry about numbers like 21 or 24 degree deadrise, it doesn't mean much. The softest riding boat I have ever been in had a 20 degree deadrise at the transom. That was a Formula 21. Real world is a better gauge than a magazine article.
    Been in most of the boats mentioned here already so thats where my statement comes from. Was definitely not impressed with one of the boats in the "6 metre shootout" While it behaved well, it was very hard riding and pretty wet. Just like a heavy V19R haha.
    The 585R is extremely dry riding in a following sea. You could claim it to be wet in a head sea, like most mono's driven hard with the bow down.
    I am not including cats in my statement because I havent been in any 6 metres or under.

DSCF0040 (Large) (Medium) (Small).JPG
    I own the 3rd 6M Edencraft out of the mold when they were revamped in 2007. Currently has the latest Model Honda 250 with drive by wire which scratches 45 knots

we have fished 150klm NE of 1770 out of her with no issues. I once raced a 24ft kevlacat back from Fitzroy in 20 knots when I had the 225 on her (owner is an Ausfisher), I wonder if he is game enough to step up here and give you guys the results
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I've never been in an Eden craft. This is an honest question. Are they genuinely able to run level or out do a similar size cat?
    Is the ride softish compared to a cat or do you just blast through waves with sheer horsepower and bang like buggery?
    Not being fasecious at all here just genuinely interested.
    I own a cat and if I got beat by similar mono I'd gladely sing it's praises.

Followed its big brother out the harbour at Portland one day. Not too sure where it went from there

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I've never been in an Eden craft. This is an honest question. Are they genuinely able to run level or out do a similar size cat?
    Is the ride softish compared to a cat or do you just blast through waves with sheer horsepower and bang like buggery?
    Not being fasecious at all here just genuinely interested.
    I own a cat and if I got beat by similar mono I'd gladely sing it's praises.
    For there size they are a very Heavy boat and with a very noticeable steep vee, its because of the vee you need plenty of HP. When I bought the boat the manufacturer told me that when it gets rougher to drive it harder. A good set of tabs is a must as you need to hold that deep vee hard into the swell to make it work, how ever like every boat there are conditions which make you pull the throttle back instead of going harder. I can sit on 30knots in a fair bit of Sh!t
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    Haines Hunter 585R. Softer riding than all the 6 metre hulls mentioned so far. I would put it up against any other 6 metre boat available in ride and handling. Stable, easy to drive, no bad manners.
    I've got the same hull a 585SF, and they're no where near as smooth as the older haines unfortunately. A blunt entry and 21 degree deadrise account for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    I've got the same hull a 585SF, and they're no where near as smooth as the older haines unfortunately. A blunt entry and 21 degree deadrise account for that.
    Is this the new one Terry?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Garry - was that one of Warrens boats? A.

The 585R HH tug boat is not in the same league as some of the other boats mentioned. We had a 600R to run for a few days at an outboard media day a while back.

I've seen a few of these being dragged behind a Jeep with a Yamaha 4-Banger and I wouldn't dare challenge their buying decision 😄

Time to go back out in my Seaf****er. Nice rounding the corner yesterday and sticking the hammers down (hit 55 knots) with a new prop - the hum of sheer grunt. Couple of the local pros commented it was nice to here a donk with some balls...!

The 585R is not in the same league, true. It is several leagues higher. It leaves any Seafarer Victory or Vagabond for dead in rough waters. And the Victory is one of the better boats out there.
    The 585SF is a different hull, narrower, lighter, with very small chines. You should go for a spin in a 585R and see for yourself. I've been in most of the boats mentioned so far, otherwise I wouldn't comment.

Also been in I think, all of the boats listed, including the cats, as well as one of your 585Rs and still dont see how you come to the conclusion it is so much better than the rest! except you own one, which just might be clouding your judgment? I kind of think the Seafarers could be at least equal in ride, but that doesn't mean I think Seafaeres are the best 6m boat out there, it's pretty well noted how I rate them personally.

I guess to be fair, it needs to be clear exactly what "rough seas" actually means, a bit of wind blown chop is entirely different to a (say) 6m swell with breaking tops, if we are talking about chop from 15k wind, then I doubt any of the monos would get near any of the cats for ride, we are talking about what magazines call "snotty, ordinary conditions" and phrases like that, but, put a "big sea" into the equation, and the whole boating world changes considerably.

Yeah mate. Great trolling hull, very safe.

Accidental click :-) JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. The 585R apparently can defy the laws of physics. Seems that with the same horsepower they are about 15% faster than all other 6 metre boats too.