Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which 6m boat?

Re: Which 6m boat?

Stu

You have mail............
    What could go wrong.......................

Hard to go past the quinny 610 spirit, one day i guess

Whichever one I am fishing out of on the day. Been in plenty - all good in there own ways and lacking in others. None are perfect. Ended up with a Victory myself as it is a good an all rounder as any with minimal bad habits and it comes in at 6 metres exactly so not paying extra rego for less than a foot of boat. Oh, and if it was 10 cm longer it wouldn't fit in my shed

Question is when you all bought your boats what was the thing that swung it for you.
    Ride and build quality is high here but what else convinced you that you were looking at th he right boat.
    Or maybe what was the deal breaker.
    My first boat was just an opportunity. A caribbean caper

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All to often people buy boats for the image it portrays or to look fancy in the driveway. Not really questioning the functionality of it.

Everyone's perfect boat will be different. depending on where and how you go fishing.

For me I do long trips offshore 120km+ each way and remote areas north of cooktown on the ribbons where there is no coast guard.
    So a cat is perfect vessel for speed and safety. Plus less seasickness when I'm in a cat.

for others a 6m plate mono boat may be better. e.i only running 20km offshore or as more of an allrounder.

Others may need a more family friendly boat. Or you might be Hugh Hefner and need a bow rider for your 3 penthouse chicks in bikini's up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    All to often people buy boats for the image it portrays or to look fancy in the driveway. Not really questioning the functionality of it.

Everyone's perfect boat will be different. depending on where and how you go fishing.

For me I do long trips offshore 120km+ each way and remote areas north of cooktown on the ribbons where there is no coast guard.
    So a cat is perfect vessel for speed and safety. Plus less seasickness when I'm in a cat.

for others a 6m plate mono boat may be better. e.i only running 20km offshore or as more of an allrounder.

Others may need a more family friendly boat. Or you might be Hugh Hefner and need a bow rider for your 3 penthouse chicks in bikini's up front.
    I agree completely with your first paragraph. Does your boat meet your needs or is it a statement.

I have never been in a cat so i hope one day an opportunity will arrise

Quote Originally Posted by stue2 View Post
    Question is when you all bought your boats what was the thing that swung it for you.
    Ride and build quality is high here but what else convinced you that you were looking at th he right boat.
    Or maybe what was the deal breaker.
    My first boat was just an opportunity. A caribbean caper

i bought my current offshore boat because I couldn't afford the SeaTrek 5900 Super Sports cat at the time. I wanted a day boat under 6m with as much deck space as possible, economical for range and as soft a ride as I could get for most of the conditions I fish. I ended up with Dean1's 5.2m Black Marlin. I paid more than I wanted because they are so hard to find in good nick and I love the layout with the big esky under seat. It's been such an awesome boat it will be a sad day when I have to see it go down the track when I upgrade to a larger cat capable of sleeping 4 over night.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Haines Hunter 585R. Softer riding than all the 6 metre hulls mentioned so far. I would put it up against any other 6 metre boat available in ride and handling. Stable, easy to drive, no bad manners.

I may be biased but for me it would have to the Seafarer Victory X-Series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    Haines Hunter 585R. Softer riding than all the 6 metre hulls mentioned so far. I would put it up against any other 6 metre boat available in ride and handling. Stable, easy to drive, no bad manners.
    Pretty big statement! but, as mentioned, people need boats for all sorts of purposes, some want a big open deck with the windscreen as far forward as possible, some want a full cabin and bunks, others want a centre console, there is no one boat that fits all, and that hasn't even touched on the glass/Aluminium/Polycraft side of it. Similarly a very soft ride is great, but then, so is stability, storage and towing all come into it too, way too much to think about and there will probably never be a "best" boat in any given size.
    Last edited by Noelm; 22-12-2016 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Typo

I have a tournament 2100 walk-around with 21 deg dead rise 2.35m beam and 6.2m it has 1.9m bunks will sleep 2 people. also have 1.9m of deck space so i can blow up a mattress
    and sleep on the rear deck on extended trips.. 1900kg perfect for towing have recently added trim tabs and now the boat is a weaponI. I have a DF175hp suzi 4 banger and my cruise speed at 4200rpm is 25-27 knots but most of the time I travel at 29-30knts doing 4800-5000rpm at a fuel burn of 30-33lt which im happy with as i like to get to where im going.. I love the walk around as when fishing for pelagic species I send someone up the front and that's where they cast from ( out of my way)
    also my 7 year old boy loves practicing casting so this is where he go's with a life jacket on off course. these are just some of the reasons i think my boat is the best

I have never been in a seafarer or coota craft so I cant compare but for me at this time in my fishing carrer the tournament 2100 walk around is perfect for me cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

For me the most important thing is ride and thats where the 585R has no equal in the 6 metre class. It doesn't have much of a cabin, but has good cockpit space. Its also very stable which is not common with other soft riding boats. Usually its a compromise.
    Layout, style, storage, configuration, are all personal things where everyone has a different opinion or preference.

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    For me the most important thing is ride and thats where the 585R has no equal in the 6 metre class.
    once again, pretty bold statement, how exactly did you come to this conclusion?

https://www.thecaptain.tv/articles/6-metre-shootout/

Anyone put this up?

I like a 585 but it is seriously outclassed in the hull shape department by some of these. 21 degree deadrise just isn't going to keep up. As stated before, some of these hulls and layouts are going to have qld reef fishos scratching their heads - no seats - but every boat is a compromise to something.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Ausfish Platinum Member

Is the 585 the end that likes to play submarine in a following sea? Just remember that someone I knew had one, it was an absolute bastard running home with the strong southerly " sea breeze " directly behind it. They used to come in soaked in their flash Haines.
    I'm sure someone will say he didn't know how to drive it, quite possible...