Thread: Transferring Co-ordinates - Garmin to Lowrance

Transferring Co-ordinates - Garmin to Lowrance

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have information on how to get my co-ordinates from my old Garmin GPSmap 172c onto a Lowrance Elite 9? I love the old Garmin but the screen is on its way out and im heading off on Thursday for 3 weeks and need to transfer my marks.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Transferring Co-ordinates - Garmin to Lowrance

You need a serial cable for it
    http://narcose29.free.fr/docs/pcwiring.pdf

The drivers for the 172c unit won't work on 64bit windows

Only other option is a card reader (they're special cards)
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

If you aren't tech savy you may have left it a bit late. As per Owen's post, the easiest way (and possibly the only way now due to the age of the unit) is a serial data interface direct to the PC. If your PC doesn't have a serial port you will also need a suitable USB to serial adaptor and relevant program in the PC. Whereabouts are you located? Someone on here that is near you may have all the gear ready to go.

Thanks for the info guys! I think i have left it a bit late, will just have to manually change them over i think. Something to do on a windy day... I can still just see the screen but add some glare and salt spray and it will be difficult!

I actually have a 172, serial connection / power supply if you need it. the data transfer is relatively straight forward.

Regards
    Honda.

Hi Mate,

Only just got back from Holidays. That would be great if you could assist. The screen is completely rooted now, i managed to grab a few marks off it manually but would be good to get the rest. Where are you located? I have the GPS here but the boat is still at Fraser.

Any advice on going the other way with waypoints? I have some .LOW files I saved from an old Lowrance that I would like to convert to .GPX. I no longer have the old unit or disks I used to download from the unit to computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Any advice on going the other way with waypoints? I have some .LOW files I saved from an old Lowrance that I would like to convert to .GPX. I no longer have the old unit or disks I used to download from the unit to computer.
    Humminbird PC program will apparently do it.

G'day
    There's a free program out there gps babel that can do most of the conversations including that one
    Cheers
    Rod

Thanks Rod, I couldn't find the ."LOW files as a download option.

Managed to download the Hummingbird software though, which has sorted it out. Marks retrieved and saved.

Thanks for your help Gents, very much appreciated.