Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Re: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Might be, but being "innovative and advanced" doesn't always win the market, the latest incantation hasnt exactly set the US market on fire yet. I guess (and I have nothing to base this on) if you look back a few years, Johnson had a 4 stroke with the Suzuki rebadging, and sales were pretty poor really, but then, it was pretty early days in the 4 stroke outboard days story, perhaps they saw low sales and a decision was made to try and get the DFI thing working properly, and that decision has stuck with them??

The 2 biggest outboard manufacturers on the planet have dropped and/or are winding down direct injected 2 stroke motors.
    Just another fact.
    Gen3 Etecs should be a rotary powered outboard, and come with free back up kayak paddles made out of admantium.
    Gen4 will be just the paddles.

Ausfish Bronze Member

If it aint 4 stroke and fibreglass, it aint no good according to certain individuals who shall remain brainless, sorry I meant nameless.

Honda applied for some 2 stroke direct injection patents last year I wonder where theyre going with that?

Yeah, true, but I can't imagine Honda being anything other than 4 stroke, Honda are a kind of funny brand, they have quality, reliability, good back up, but never seem to push their products, they just sell, year after year, where others have bogus tug O war adds, and stuff like that, Honda also seem to stick to what works for a very long time, and in some ways, are innovators, but don't tell anyone about it!

It's because Honda don't need to as I was quite surprised when I found out the were one of the largest outboard manufactures world wide, surpassing Yamaha

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    It's because Honda don't need to as I was quite surprised when I found out the were one of the largest outboard manufactures world wide, surpassing Yamaha

Yep, but, no one knows, there is no fanfare and dancing girls, they just keep on plodding along quietly selling quality motors through a fairly small network of usually well respected dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Force3 View Post
    If it aint 4 stroke and fibreglass, it aint no good according to certain individuals who shall remain brainless, sorry I meant nameless.
    I guess the same might be said to others who believe if it's not a 2 stroke or Aluminium it's just no good!

Oh my feelings are hurt, I am going to have a cyber fight with some words on my screen, maybe call someone names, get all defensive and weird.
    Oh, no I'm not, I'm not that sensitive or insecure
    Honda aren't very big in outboard sales, but they are the largest engine manufacturer in the world.

I was pretty sceptical when I bought a Yamaha 200HPDI but the dealer that did a pre purchase inspection on the motor assured me that fuel economy was just a tad behind an equivalent 4 stroke Yamaha. I've put 1200 hours on it since then at an average of 1.7l per Nm at around 22Kn cruise, sometimes with a fair payload which doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference to economy. WOT is around 50Kn but I don't even want to think about fuel burn at that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    Oh my feelings are hurt, I am going to have a cyber fight with some words on my screen, maybe call someone names, get all defensive and weird.
    Oh, no I'm not, I'm not that sensitive or insecure
    Honda aren't very big in outboard sales, but they are the largest engine manufacturer in the world.
    Unfortunately your actually wrong there Yamaha produce about 600k outboards a year where Honda make about a million outboards a year do some actual research and you might be surprised.

560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Skusto, where on earth did you get those figures from? I suggest you do some research.
    There's not even a million outboards sold in total worldwide per year.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    I was pretty sceptical when I bought a Yamaha 200HPDI but the dealer that did a pre purchase inspection on the motor assured me that fuel economy was just a tad behind an equivalent 4 stroke Yamaha. I've put 1200 hours on it since then at an average of 1.7l per Nm at around 22Kn cruise, sometimes with a fair payload which doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference to economy. WOT is around 50Kn but I don't even want to think about fuel burn at that speed.
    The HPDI are magic engines - economy from a 175 HPDI on a 625 is from 1.5 to 1.8km a litre at speed. The killer is if you take them game fishing - at 7knots, try 1km or 900 metres per litre in my case. Far more economical at 4,500rpm. But don't waste your time even thinking about fuel used per hour - it's how far you travelled in that hour. In other words, any calculation other than km per lite, or or nautical miles per litre or litres per nautical mile is just a waste. 100 litres per hour at 80km/.h is exactly the same as 50 litres per hour at 40km/h. Simples.
    Last edited by SUPERDAFF; 27-12-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Ausfish Platinum Member

That was my major beef with the older 2 strokes vs 4 strokes--low speed efficiency is terrible. My old 90 hp Yamaha pushing a heavily fitted Qunitrex 600 navigator CC, flowed around 19 l/hr at 19-20 kts with full icebox, 150 litres fuel and 2 POB. But try trolling at 6-7 knots for sails --it needed to have the bow trimmed right down or it would break onto the plane, and you were using as much as 17 l/hr! even a slower troll was 14l/hr. F115 uses maybe a third of that, and goes 2.2 -2.4 km/l @ 20 kts

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDAFF View Post
    The HPDI are magic engines - economy from a 175 HPDI on a 625 is from 1.5 to 1.8km a litre at speed. The killer is if you take them game fishing - at 7knots, try 1km or 900 metres per litre in my case. Far more economical at 4,500rpm. But don't waste your time even thinking about fuel used per hour - it's how far you travelled in that hour. In other words, any calculation other than km per lite, or or nautical miles per litre or litres per nautical mile is just a waste. 100 litres per hour at 80km/.h is exactly the same as 50 litres per hour at 40km/h. Simples.
    Litres per hour is also a useful quantity, you may prefer litres per K, and thats fine, but it is not the only measure of fuel use.