Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by pnp005 View Post
    Given you can't back up any of your remarks with facts Stang best get a kayak lol
    What if they only come in white...??

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Re: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    What if they only come in white...??

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Provided the paddle isn't white, it should be ok.

A kayak would still get me home and not go into limp mode. A paddle is more reliable than a white motor.
    This remark, as all my others, is a fact. I think you meant to say "proof". The proof is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    I'm not sure anyone here is/was actually offended, you'll just find that people tend to respect you less when they sense the pot is being stirred, which isn't necessarily anything to do with insecurity. Might be a case of the old saying, "talk s**t, get hit". Either way I think we're largely past the days of engine brand wars, they're all good these days and I don't think any sane person walks up and down the boat ramp parking lot getting offended at the sight of an ETEC or a Mercury or whatever brand he doesn't like for whatever reason. It's all a bit petty really.
    Well said. Once you start to sling crap on a manufacturer (without hard facts), you're going to cop it. Many (good) Evinrude dealers I know are family owned businesses who have been loyal servants of the product (and are usually the guy fixing the big guys installation issues to keep customers on the water). Hearsay and hyperbole is damaging to these businesses and stems from a dark patch in Evinrude's history in the late 90's when the brand was owned by a different manufacturer. Every brand has had failures - Mercury's self detonating bluebands, Yamaha's self corroding aspros (the industry knicknamed these aids)...

The simple fact is, if the ETEC platform was a systematic failure, BRP wouldn't build them, or invest in a gen2 platform. They had 10 years of assessing these against a 4-Stroke alternative. The answer = G2. BRP have among the world's best marine 4-Stroke (German) technology at their disposal in Rotax.
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow. JOHN WAYNE

Strang a fact is something that has really occurred or is actually true. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability—that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experiments or other means).

Ausfish Bronze Member

A week ago, at my local boat ramp, I saw 2 boats towed in. Both boats had Yamaha engines, that is a FACT but it does not mean that Yamaha outboards are rubbish. It just goes to show that all modern brands can have issues and that is another FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by Force3 View Post
    A week ago, at my local boat ramp, I saw 2 boats towed in. Both boats had Yamaha engines, that is a FACT but it does not mean that Yamaha outboards are rubbish. It just goes to show that all modern brands can have issues and that is another FACT.
    I saw a boat towed in this morning, and it was a sail boat...fact! Not exactly sure what you are trying to imply, but I reckon that if you put an e-tec on a Seafarer, and towed it with a Jeep, the resulting "debate" would rage for 10 pages minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I saw a boat towed in this morning, and it was a sail boat...fact! Not exactly sure what you are trying to imply, but I reckon that if you put an e-tec on a Seafarer, and towed it with a Jeep, the resulting "debate" would rage for 10 pages minimum
    probably it was using ethanol laced fuel as well!!!!!

Ausfish Bronze Member

Noelm
    I belive the implication (your word), is summed up very well in the last sentence. I''II repeat it for you in case you missed it, "It just goes to show that all modern brands can have issues and that is another FACT."

They all have issues, particularly this time of year when many folks are taking them out for the first time in a while. There are some universal issues like batteries, fuel, etc that will obviously affect even the most reliable engines. Many times it's dodgy owners, not dodgy engines. I volunteer with Marine Rescue NSW and most of the assists/tows I've been involved in lately have come down to poor maintenance leading into Summer, as you'd expect. I can also tell you that while newer engines rarely misbehave, there isn't any single brand that stands out.

And regarding the discussion on sales, on a 10+ hour patrol possibly the most common late model engine I see in Sydney is either ETEC or Mercury. Might be proximity of dealers, I'm not sure how other regions stack up.

Broken paddle.jpg

Huh....Fancy that. A kayak (that's not white), with a broken down black paddle (with fully functional white parts) in limp mode. What's the world coming to. In between this and some of the commentary around here I'm going to have to sell both my motors. Gunna cost a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    The simple fact is, if the ETEC platform was a systematic failure, BRP wouldn't build them, or invest in a gen2 platform. They had 10 years of assessing these against a 4-Stroke alternative. The answer = G2. BRP have among the world's best marine 4-Stroke (German) technology at their disposal in Rotax.
    while I can see that BRP could quite easily offer a 4 stroke outboard with their Rotax, I still kind of wonder if they have chosen the right option, I can see a possibility that they might just get out marketed, kind of like VHS and Beta?? regardless of the brand, very soon they will be the only manufacturer offering a 2 stroke! master stroke, or dumb ass?? only time will tell. Is it possible the decision makers at the top have read the market wrong, or are simply too scared to change direction now?
    Last edited by Noelm; 26-12-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Ausfish Platinum Member

They are committed now , and obviously feel they have a market--to field a 4 stroke now would say a) we were wrong, and b) just another four stroke fighting for market share in a crowded market.
    Time will tell.

Yes, that's what I was getting at, BUT, are they committed because they think they are going to win market share? Or, committed because they are in too deep now to turn back? or maybe even just an executive decision based on history? who knows, but time will certainly tell, I personally am not 100% convinced the decision to run against the entire world market is a good one!

Ausfish Bronze Member

A bit like Apple and Android, I suppose. BRP certainly have a "Point of Difference" and I am sure that after investing millions into market research, BRP have taken the direction that they believe will pay dividends for the Company and its shareholders. The latest evinrude etec G2, love it or hate it is arguably the most innovative and advanced outboard on the market.