Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Re: does etec/ opti max ecconomy really stack up against 4 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    No, they actually sell poorly in Australia. The biggest Telwater dealers are mostly Yamaha and Mercury.
    Based on sales by total unit numbers or sales against other clean tech outboards? The other brands, apart from Honda, still have old school two strokes which will account for a lot of sales courtesy of the smaller horsepower range if you are looking at units only. Take the old school two bangers out of the equation and the percentages will shift considerably at a guess.

Still waiting on verification of your claims on Etec being the least sold motor.

Quote Originally Posted by pnp005 View Post
    Still waiting on verification of your claims on Etec being the least sold motor.
    Don't hold your breath. Stang's love for "white" motors is well and truly documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    A side deviation from this post - anyone have any inside knowledge as to why there were are a truckload of new in box ~200hp engines ex Japan recently destroyed at Port of Brisbane on arrival? Not even a part salvaged... a reasonably covert operation.
    Keen to hear what went on in this event??
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Garry - as am I. They weren't engines of your variety... I have heard what happened from a couple of sources in the industry now and all sources point to a manufacturing issue - they've done well to keep it under wraps. Question I ask is why you wouldn't salvage parts...

Is the "Stang / Stink" a Mercury / Haines Hunter dealer...?

I've got the 2012 etec 130hp and lot of people are surprised by the quietness, performance and economy of this engine including me..
    Whilst the engine has a three year/300 service interval, there is the recommendation that with saltwater use, to have the unit serviced at 12months, this is mostly a lower leg service with gearbox oil change. I mostly decided on the etec because of its weight advantage over the 4s.
    Am I happy with the decision of buying it over a 4s? Yes. Would I repeat the purchase? In a heartbeat..

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean_Spirit View Post
    Is the "Stang / Stink" a Mercury / Haines Hunter dealer...?
    No not Mercury ocean spirit Yama hardness fan/dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Etec owners are soooooo sensitive and insecure. But I would be too if I forked out hard earned money for something that is looked down on by most.
    I don't have a dog in the fight, and there is no brochure or website showing sales figures. I'll give you a hint though. All outboards are imported.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Don't feed the troll

What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    Etec owners are soooooo sensitive and insecure. But I would be too if I forked out hard earned money for something that is looked down on by most.
    I don't have a dog in the fight, and there is no brochure or website showing sales figures. I'll give you a hint though. All outboards are imported.
    You seem a bit insecure actually, it's like you go out of your way to have a dig at Evinrude? Not going to lie, I used to be a bit like you when I was younger, very tribal towards my 'favourite' brands, eventually you do grow out of it. In the real world, at the ramp everyone respects each other, Mercurys have the prettiest cowlings, Yamaha will run forever, ETECs have the most grunt, Suzukis very reliable, Hondas probably the quietest outboard on the water, blah blah. In recent years I've had Mercury, Yamaha & Evinrude, they're all great, you really can't buy a bad engine these days, although you do still find people online who remain stuck in that early 2000's era of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, my brand vs your brand etc, most of us are mature enough to get past it.

I dont have a favourite brand of anything. Out of the 4 strokes I would happily choose either Mercury, Yamaha or Honda depending on the HP.
    As for not being mature, at least I never resorted to name calling or directing any disrespectful comments towards any individual. All I did was have some fun at the expense of the least respected outboard brand in the country.
    If that offended you then you are insecure.

I'm not sure anyone here is/was actually offended, you'll just find that people tend to respect you less when they sense the pot is being stirred, which isn't necessarily anything to do with insecurity. Might be a case of the old saying, "talk s**t, get hit". Either way I think we're largely past the days of engine brand wars, they're all good these days and I don't think any sane person walks up and down the boat ramp parking lot getting offended at the sight of an ETEC or a Mercury or whatever brand he doesn't like for whatever reason. It's all a bit petty really.

Given you can't back up any of your remarks with facts Stang best get a kayak lol