Thread: What reel would you choose?

What reel would you choose?

I recently purchased a never used Shimano Terex rod (for $60!), 6'6" for an overhead reel rated at 40-100lb test. I have been thinking of a Penn Senator 12/0, and I don't want to spend $1000 on a reel. Thanks lads.

Re: What reel would you choose?

Depends on your type of fishing you want the reel to serve and budget.

A Tyrnos 16 or 20 would be a good middle of the range reel that could be used for a wide range of purposes.

Tyrnos 30 for that would work at a guess (they're great reels). Bring it into a tackle shop and see how it matches up to be sure.

Thanks. I was thinking tyrnos. The biggest one with 2 speeds. Will use this outfit for shark fishing mostly.

Haven't heard of anyone buying a Senator for over a decade now, a 12/0 would be a pretty damn big reel! not too sure if you have made a mistake, or the people suggesting a Tyrnos 16-20 and 30 are insure of the size reel you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Haven't heard of anyone buying a Senator for over a decade now, a 12/0 would be a pretty damn big reel! not too sure if you have made a mistake, or the people suggesting a Tyrnos 16-20 and 30 are insure of the size reel you're talking about.
    Nope not unsure of the reel he is talking about at all. I have a collection of senators including the 12/0 that dad left me.

Jlammi,

pantomphisher and myself are on the same page regarding the tyrnos range being a suitable reel for the terez rod you picked up for a bargain.

They are a great mid range budget versatile reel.

I was going squid fishing one night and noticed a guy over near the fishing location had a sale on used fishing gear i seen he had a small i think it is a 2500 SIENNA Shimano i picked it up for $20, i think they retailed for around $55 anyhow i didn't have line on me to spool it up but later down the track i put it to use

i have caught 65cm King Fish, 60cm Salmon, Leeping Watson Bonito, Bonito, Mack Tuna, countless Flat Head, some baby Jew Fish

the last owner had bent and removed the drag ticker but that didn't both me, i matched the reel with 8lb mono SureCatch JW stuff with Diawa 10lb fluro leader and believe it i live bait with this rig matched with a flexi 1-2 kilo rod

the Shimano Sienna has become my all time favorite reel, it may only be a budget reel but heck that drag is silky bloody smooth so smooth i pulled the reel a part a few days ago expecting to find Carbontex washers and to my surprise it had very thin cloth like greased drag washers i think these may be OEM washers

i thought what a ripper design, my PENN 360 Slammer sits out in the shed along with the PENN 560

for $20 it has been my best reel purchase ever, check me out in my Youtube videos you can see the reel in action but no singing noise from the reel due to the pin removal

Free Membership

Penn Squall. love mine. I call it the TLD Killer!

I recently purchased a fin nor biscayne overhead lever drag reel and it has been great. excellent for trolling for mackies and reel seems really well built for a company that was brought out by jarvis walker. Just a thought as the reel spooled with 300m of 60lb braid was under $200. CHeers