Thread: Multi piece travel rods

Multi piece travel rods

My time in australian is coming to a close so I'll be selling up my gear. I'm planning on travelling a lot more.
    What I want to know is. Has anyone had experience with any of the main companies 3-4 piece travel rods?
    cheers

Re: Multi piece travel rods

Hi Robbo, the cheapest best option i have found are the Savage Gear "Road Runner"rods from BCF, much more expensive rods around if you prefer

I have landed big Bonefish and Trevs on them no worries and they fit in your suitcase easily, come in sizes up to 10kg, cheers wayne

Ausfish Silver Member

Robo,

I have a couple Shimano T Curve Traveller s- 5-10 kg and next one up- have used them around the bay , coastal and up PNG chasing macks ,wahoo tuna etc- thumbs up- particularly fond of the 5-10kg one. I think on a whole the traveller rods have come a long way both in quality and range.

Good luck

cheers,

Lew

All the info online points towards a huge leap in quality of 3-4 piece rods. So for under $500 I could grab a great rod and reel travel combo and not be disappointed?

Think I'll resist the idea of going for a baitcaster even though I have always wanted one, advice I've found online says they're not quite as versatile and I'd lose advantage of having multiple spools of different line strengths to aid lighter lure casting.
    Thanks on the rod tips, I'll head into some shops tomorrow to have a feel!

I do alot of travelling fishing. In the past I've used shimano as a low end to mid range. Then there is the Amaeriban travel, they are normally 4 pieces and tend to be very slow taper and geared toward trout and salmons.
    The best 3 piece travel rod I found is actually made right here in QLD by Gary howard. 7' 3 piece Gforce with either stainless or titanium guides and they're pretty good value. I've stop some stonking permit and GT with them. Havent broke one yet.
    Nothing beats solid old school rod building techniques
    Humility is not a weather condition.

I don't seem to be able to find any 3 piece rods only 1 or 2 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by youngy View Post
    Hi Robbo, the cheapest best option i have found are the Savage Gear "Road Runner"rods from BCF, much more expensive rods around if you prefer

I have landed big Bonefish and Trevs on them no worries and they fit in your suitcase easily, come in sizes up to 10kg, cheers wayne
    X2

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Thank to everyone for advice, just grabbed a 2-5kg savage gear from bcf with 25% off!!

I have seen them bring in some stonking fish mate.

Having given that recommendation I just saw that BCF had the 4-7kg Daiwa Generation Black Travel Spin (3 piece) and the same in 2-4kg for $100 each....most places flog them for $179 or so...just had to get the 4-7kg for Barra etc when I go on a plane up north or just to have in the car for occasional flicks for pelagic or big flatties etc. Cheers

Free Membership

I had a t-curve traveller, but it kept snapping and breaking guides! Didn't seem to be the same quality as the ordinary T-curves